Indy-x53 build **DONE ...maybe**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here it goes on my bike build.....

Found it on craigslist and the owner did not know what is was (I didnt either) The bike was covered in brushed on blue paint along with the rims, spokes, and anything that was chrome it is was painted silver.
IMAG0048.jpg

The bike even had a schwinn tri chainguard and schwinn sprocket
IMAG0049.jpg

It turned out to be a X53! from my reaserch and info from this site.

Time to remove the paint....
IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

color I will be using is a duplicolor black trim and graphite wheel paint

Picked up a rear rack for the bike also to complete the look of the frame is will get the same treatment
as for the tank I am gonna make my own .

100_2508.jpg

Re: Indy-x53 build

more picks of the tank I am making. I just had some scrap 14ga. steel and made a cardboard template . Total freehand so please dont laugh and used a jigsaw to cut the shapes out and sander to even them out. welded some tabs to the bottom and added stand offs for the other curves

This piece will be black
100_2503.jpg

these pieces will be graphite
100_2504.jpg

Heck yeah, another X-53 :D . Sounds like a cool color scheme.

Update on the painted frame and tank. Sorry for the indoor pics but it has been soooo hot and the wifey said I could build inside :D

IMAG0076.jpg
IMAG0074.jpg
IMAG0075.jpg
IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

Made some standoffs for the rear to make a tail light / liscense plate holder to tie in the two rack bars, the original had a reflector and bracket combo that look like I never find so I am going to make my own. The light is LED and the plate is a 54' cereal box plate I got off ebay. I do not know what placement of the light I like best maybe you guys could give me some input on placement?

Standoffs....
IMAG0100.jpg

light (LED) to be used the chrome will be stripped off and painted flat black....
IMAG0104.jpg

light on top plate on bottom?
IMAG0103.jpg

plate on top light on bottom?
IMAG0102.jpg

metal plate (flat black) will tie the two standoffs together and hold the plate and light with the batteries behind the plate (23a alkalines)
** Bonus!!!***Wife bought me a seat :D
IMAG0096.jpg

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Sweet build so far :wink:
thanks ! This is my first build also and I love the research involved in what goes where and if it possible to find for this bicycle.

Will this is how she sits so far... until next time.

IMAG0107.jpg

scott brownsey said:
looks very cool how is that wheel paint workn for u i thought bout tryn it also :D
The paint has done very well depending on how far you hold the paint from the frame or object while spraying kinda dictates the finish. I held mine back a little to give it a more flat/satin finish and it seem pretty durable so far. There is also a clearcoat for this paint that is sold that would give more of a gloss finish.

Well tailight/plate attached along wtih working LEDs

the mock up before painting
IMAG0110.jpg

mounting plate painted and switch installed along with battery LED light wired up...
IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

still waiting on my "fat Franks" to arrive so I can mount the tires to the rims also gotta mount the front fender to the forks guess that will be next and mod the head light to LED also.

until next time.............

KInda of a cool find at the local flea market for my headlight picked up 3 for 15 bucks. Coverting the bulbs to LED just need to pick up a switch. More than likley I'll paint it black

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

LED installed.....
IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

not diggin the front fender to much but it will do for now . Also my tires came in the mail Monday :D

Some current pics just need to paint the light housing and get the handlebars painted and installed....
IMAG0162.jpg

cranks/sprocket/chain also ...
IMAG0161.jpg

Finished the bike so I could give it a spin today!

Added the sprocket,repop pedals and chain tuned in the 3 speed and had a blast with my son riding around the neighborhood bike/jogging trails.I managed to put 5 miles on the bike!

I also modified the speedo so you cannot reset the mileage unless you take it apart :D the small hole left from the reset turn knob will be for the switch and LED set-up for the back lighting on the speedo gauge light shine through nicely on this aftermarket speedo ....soon as get to it of course having to much fun riding it :lol:

there will some small tweak here and there on the details but I am just glad i am riding it before it get too cold.

It not exactly ratty but I like it.......sorry gotta go for a Night time ride and try out the lighting system 8)
I post some night pics later

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

Back