In need of a little help with rear sprockets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I am having chain line issues on my franken-tall-bike. I can't get the front chainring to line up correctly with the rear sprocket. I have played around with the spacing of the axle but no luck. The only thing I can come up with is getting a deeper dished rear sprocket, but I have no idea where to get one.
Have any of you ran into this problem? What did you do?
Does anyone have a source for deep dish coaster sprockets? I'm assuming you need a deeper sprocket for those really wide wheels.

If your front sprocket needs to come out a bit to line it up you can shim it. Take the crank out and remove the nut holding the sprocket to the crank. Put a large washer on the crank and put the nut back on. They make shims (washers) that are made for this purpose. Gary

Hey i have built a few fix gear bikes.I redish the rear wheel on some to move the chain line,its really easy just loosen an outside spoke and tighten an inside do this evenly around the whole wheel until things line up.Sometimes its nessasary to grind the threaded end off some of the spokes.Just an idea.

Thanks Spincycle, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Now if only I can find one in a 17-19 tooth.

Are the OCC stingrays coaster brake? if so, does anyone know how many teeth the cogs have and are they an offset cog?

kev said:
Thanks Spincycle, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Now if only I can find one in a 17-19 tooth.

Are the OCC stingrays coaster brake? if so, does anyone know how many teeth the cogs have and are they an offset cog?

Most I have seen are freestyle. However the Jesse James choppers are coaster brake but only a very slight offset.

If you find one of these 'baby' OCC choppers with a 16" rear wheel, they run a High-Stop coaster with a deep dish sprocket.
DSCF2505.jpg

The hub is crap, but the sprocket should work for you.You can probably pick up the whole bike (I did) for $30, or less from Craig's list. If you do, you'll also score a set of triple tree forks that will fit up to a 26" tire too!

You can always sell the forks on here and get some or all of your investment back!

Cheers,
Dr. T

I build a lot of tall bikes. I have alignment issues often because I have to use two chains linked together, and that causes issues no matter how well you line everything up. If you are looking at a dished sprocket, then I assume you wish to bring the chain out a bit in the rear. If this is true, check first to make sure there isn't too much shimming at the front sprocket. I have had some with two washers and just removed one. Second, see if there are any washers on the rear axle between the frame and cone nut that you can get by without. Also, you can gently stretch the right side of the rear frame away from the rim, then put a washer or two on the opposite side. This will place the entire rim just a hair further to the right (if viewed from rear). These aren't meant to be professional tips. Just tiny lessons learned by someone who is not a perfectionist.

ozzmonaut said:
I build a lot of tall bikes. I have alignment issues often because I have to use two chains linked together, and that causes issues no matter how well you line everything up. If you are looking at a dished sprocket, then I assume you wish to bring the chain out a bit in the rear. If this is true, check first to make sure there isn't too much shimming at the front sprocket. I have had some with two washers and just removed one. Second, see if there are any washers on the rear axle between the frame and cone nut that you can get by without. Also, you can gently stretch the right side of the rear frame away from the rim, then put a washer or two on the opposite side. This will place the entire rim just a hair further to the right (if viewed from rear). These aren't meant to be professional tips. Just tiny lessons learned by someone who is not a perfectionist.

I'd definetley mess around with the chainring spacing before buying a new sprocket. I had the same problem on one of my tall bikes and I just switched the chaingring from the outside of the the arm to the inside and now the chainline is almost perfect. :D

100_7064.jpg

Depending on what rear hub you're using, sometimes they have one or more spacers next to the sprocket that can be rearranged to get a better chain line.

i tried messing around with the rear axle spacing and the chainring is not adjustable and it is on a 3 piece crank (no shims). my only real option was a dished out rear sprocket unless i wanted my wheel off of center. i found a 22 tooth dished out sprocket at a LBS for $10. I still want a 18 tooth but it rides great now. and since my chainring is a 52 tooth the ratio isnt too bad. in fact, it is my favorite bike right now.

clamdigger said:
if you can wait, the 18 T offset,3 tab chrome plated coaster brake cog is on backorder at http://www.choppersus.com
actually they should be in stock now. i got an email from them saying it was possible to preorder the rims now(and should be back in stock soon) and that they had the offset cogs in now.
also hes in l.a. and gives a discount to ratrodbikes members as well as freakbike members. just let him know youre on the site

Back