If you had $400-$500 to spend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I need a bike. One that I can and will ride everyday. One that I could go some serious distance on. It must be cool, comfortable, and geared (Maine is Hilly!) Currently the main contender is a Satin Black Electra 21 spd at around $400. Eight speed Nexxus Hubs jack up the price out of my range. Classic styled bikes like my Columbia are too cramped. I want to attempt a 100 mile ride next summer. Don't care about fast too much. I tried Mountain bikes and they weren't it. Road bikes are sexxy but not very comfortable to me. I'm more the Harley type than the crotch rocket sort. Most Hybrids look like the modern version of the woman's 3-spd to me. You guys know the industry, the makers, and the online importers. What am I looking for? :?

Aaron

go find a schwinn dealer and look at the 08 cruiser 3. i really like the black and gold one and the gear ratios are sweet. they retail for 399. townies are sweet too i have one with ape hangers, and white walls.

ACD, I found one of these Schwinn Repops on CL for $300 and I've seen several more, 7 speed Nexus, nice thing is it takes a 7/8" seatpost so you can buy a BMX lay back seatpost real cheap like $8-10 gives a much better ride position IMO. I agree with you the old cruisers are a bit cramped. Feel like I'm riding a unicycle .... near.

As bought
IMG_0312.jpg

AFter layback seat post and smaller front chainring, overgeared in stock setup I think, feels good now. Dropped fenders as it never erally rains here.

IMG_0325.jpg

Guys thanks for the ideas, I shall look into a Schwinn dealer in Maine. And compare it to the Electra for fit and comfort. A 3-spd might be all I need and if so opens up some more options from Electra as well.

Aaron

For 500 you can get the Schwinn Deluxe 7. Nexus 7 spd coaster with the phantom look. Check it out at your dealer.

My special ed teacher at school is Supposed to be giving me her sons mountain bike, She said it Costed her like 300 dollars new.. She said he rode it like 5 times over the summer.. Hes in college now so i doubt he would want it. She said its a mongoose.. I wanna see it. I Hope i get it.

Back