Ideas on how to semi permenantly mount a filler tank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I cut out a plate to mount where the tank should be on my bike. I like the flat piece of metal better than a full on tank, but heres my issue. i dont want to weld it in, because i change my mind too much, and the zip ties look cheap to me, so i need ideas on how to mount it like this with something else...ive tossed around the ideas of bailing wire, metal straps (like you use to mount a coaster brake) hose clamps, etc. anybody have any better ideas and maybe some pictures as examples????

l_a14605143cd843e1a37c33ee7d64ef9f.jpg

im going to keep it steel (no paint for now)

PRAISE THE LOWERED said:
I like the flat piece of metal better than a full on tank
Me too.
Yours looks great. I'm too lazy and impatient to get mine to fit as well.

What I've used...
Copper plumbing clamps from the hardware store.
tank_plate.jpg

From a copper ground wire clamp that I use at work. I save the excess left over that's cut off.
rrb_decal.jpg

strap.jpg

I know someone who cuts their own straps from thin copper and then hammers/stamps a design/pattern into them.

I'm thinking that with as many holes (clamp points) you have you'll probably want to use something small or narrow.

sweet. although i would probably have to paint mine since its a medic themed bike. the copper would have been perfect for my chopper though!

thanks

not trying to steal your thread praise but how do you guys measure the plate for cutting? i wanna make a plate tank super badly and ive got the materials to do so but im afraid to mess it up. if somebody could help me out that would be sweet!!!

Easy E

no one has suggested duct tape yet ? :mrgreen: ....idk magnets maybe ?? punch some more holes and thread it with some mechanics wire if you have the patience/time

im a fan of the board tanks. they just make more sense to me

elvis51 said:
not trying to steal your thread praise but how do you guys measure the plate for cutting? i wanna make a plate tank super badly and ive got the materials to do so but im afraid to mess it up. if somebody could help me out that would be sweet!!!

Easy E

I've never made a plate for a bike, but I've done a bit of fabrication on cars. The easiest way I've found is to make a template out of cardboard or oak tag first. Get the fit right on that first, then trace it onto the metal. Then you can cut that out with tin snips or your cutting tool of choice.

elvis51 said:

Easy E

This is how I did mine. Start with cardboard. put it on one side of the frame. Stick a sharpie through the frame and run it around the inside of the opening you want to fill. Cut out the cardboard way outside the marker line. Test fit. Cut some. Test fit. Repeat until the cardboard fits as you want. Lay cardboard on the panel material. trace it. Cut. test fit. adjust as needed. file sand paint. mount. done.

thatismytruck said:
This is how I did mine. Start with cardboard. put it on one side of the frame. Stick a sharpie through the frame and run it around the inside of the opening you want to fill. Cut out the cardboard way outside the marker line. Test fit. Cut some. Test fit. Repeat until the cardboard fits as you want. Lay cardboard on the panel material. trace it. Cut. test fit. adjust as needed. file sand paint. mount. done.

Same here.

woohoo!!! now ive got the inspiration needed to get some stuff started!!!! now i need to catch up on that other thing ive been lacking lately......sleep!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Easy E

elvis51 said:

Easy E

super easy, i taped a heavey weight paper (photo paper) in the spot i wanted the tank and i traced the outline of the frame...cut that out...and traced that on sheet metal. since i used a small enough guage, i just cut it out with a dremel tool and then used the sanding tool to even it out...it still isnt 100% but it does the trick

man i have got some work cut out for me for sure!!! i cant wait to try and make one!!! itlls definately add to my bike! thanks for all the helpful tips guys!!!

Easy E

I went to the hardware store and got the clamps that are meant to hold a pipe up against the wall. I also got that rubber coating which is meant to harden into a plastic grip for tools. Then I bent the clamps into a circular shape and coated the portion of the which will be in contact with the frame so the clamps will not damage the paint.
112608005pj6.jpg

Making the stencil is easy, just follow the instructions the other guys gave you and you'll get it right the first time.

GodHatesCleveland said:
I went to the hardware store and got the clamps that are meant to hold a pipe up against the wall. I also got that rubber coating which is meant to harden into a plastic grip for tools. Then I bent the clamps into a circular shape and coated the portion of the which will be in contact with the frame so the clamps will not damage the paint.
112608005pj6.jpg

Making the stencil is easy, just follow the instructions the other guys gave you and you'll get it right the first time.

wow!! :D that diamond plate looks really cool!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) good idea on using the rubber coating to protect the frame from scratching!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Easy E

100_0745.jpg

IT COULD USE EITHER SOME RE-CUTTING OR SOME ADJUSTING OF THE STRAPS CUZ, AS YOU CAN SEE, THE FRONT HALF OF THE PLATE EVENTUALLY TOUCHES THE FRAME, UNLIKE THE BACK HALF

Back