ID on Mag Style Sprocket Please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had the mag style sprocket in the pic with all the other stuff for quite a while and have wondered who the maker is or what bike it might have come off of. Hopefully it's not a newer Chinese make. Currently I'm running it, the crank, and bearing that were with it on my Schwinn HD build. The crank did have a serial number on the center of it. Sadly I forgot to check the bearing races for manufacturer and possible year markings.

018.JPG

Here it is mounted on my HD frame.

index.php.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry; I'm not sure about where that sprocket came from. I don't recall seeing it before. Being that it has 3 holes for the drivepin, I'd assume it's from the late 70s/early 80s b/c that kind of smart stuff tended to come from the BMX era, when riders started really abusing stuff. But that's just a wild and hugely generalized guess. I poked around the museum a bit, didn't see anything....saw some 6-arm sprockets on Huffy bikes, but it didn't have the extra drivepin holes or the "windows"...

But yeah, my best guess is that it's from an early and cheap-ish BMX... probably imported, but probably not China. Totally an outta left field guess right there...

I appreciate you taking the time. At least it seems promising that it is not a Chinese sprocket. Online searches I have done did not turn up a match or anything real close to it neither.

To me it looks like an old 10 speed crankset. The 3 holes were to mount the second chainring.

I had never thought of or considered that possibility. Another thing that I feel supports this possibility is the metal seems to be a thinner sprocket stamping like that used on multi speed cluster groups. If that is the case for my sprocket and crank assembly it really makes my HD build even more of a fraken parts bike.

Last edited:
PedalBite might have nailed it. It looks like a crank and sprocket from a Huffy 10 speed. I just looked at a bunch of Huffy 10 speed pics on Google and it seems to match. Hard to tell because they have that ring guard mounted on the outside via those mounting holes that are for the inner lower gear sprocket as well.

Yeah, i think it's Huffy, too. The edges where it's stamped look like the Huffy sprockets. I feel like a chump b/c those extra holes don't even line up with the drivepin; the radius is too large....

Yeah, i think it's Huffy, too. The edges where it's stamped look like the Huffy sprockets. I feel like a chump b/c those extra holes don't even line up with the drivepin; the radius is too large....

No need to beat yourself up because none of us are perfect. When it comes to technical bike questions and helping people to solve their bike problems you are among the best on the forum.

Back