I want it...Should i want it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the early middle stages of geezerdom, it's A LOT more work! :lol: Seriously, if you can kick tail on a 1-spd, you can your foot through to the other side w/gears, but it's all about the ride. I used to bash on cheap coasters until they bent or broke, and it was big big fun! Whatever floats your boat is where to sail! :wink:

That is a nice bike but dang that is alot of money.If your lookin for a bmx/mountain bike for less money and equally good parts maybe look at the DJ Flyer by SE.That bike is crazy tough and its chromoly and will outlast you,your kids,they're kids and maybe they're kids!!HAHA.Ive seen the run for $750 and the parts list are all a+ parts.

SE-DJ-Flyer-20008-black-white1.jpg

Here is another type of DJ bike.More expensive but there are quite a few to choose from.You can also gear them later down the road if you choose to run gears or go with an internal 3 speed.

IMG_51731.jpg

Hey Dingo, look what my son in law left in my bike shed. He loves it, and he is not a little guy either (230lbs).........I should teach him a lesson and use it for a build off bike.
001-35.jpg

It's aluminum...........My last 4 builds don't add up to what he paid for it.

I come from a mountain biking backround, even though I don't ride on mountains at all.
In my stable, I have a 21 spd Cannondale (aluminum frame w/ front suspension circa '96),
a 21 spd Gary Fisher CR-7 (aluminum front triangle w/ cro-mo rear bolted to it circa '93),
& a Surly 1x1 (single speed cro-mo circa '05).

While I really like the lightness of an Aluminum frame, there is something to be said for Steel.
Aluminum is stiff, while Steel is WAAAY more forgiving. I should also add that I am a heavier rider (about 240 lbs).
Big fan of single speed too by the way! It's awesome! Nice to not have to worry about shifting gears.
This winter, I will be converting the Cannondale to a single speed.

My two cents....

If you're looking for a steel framed SS bike, the Jamis Dragon One is a good deal. 29'er wheels, hydraulic brakes and the MSRP is around $1200

dragonone.jpg

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/ ... onone.html

I ride a 2008 model (used to be called the Exile 29'er) and I threw a set of 26" wheels to ride around town. It has horizontal rear dropouts with a hanger-converter to add a dérailleur when you need it.

There's quite a few folks on MTBR that get this Motobecane Outcast 29 from bikesdirect, front suspension, SS but convertible for $499, give it a look

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm#xtht

If you don't need the front suspension, which you don't need as much with a 29er especially if you're not doing really technical offroad( but I ride my rigid in the rock gardens and it works good without beating me up) then there's a ton of cheaper options.

I dont know why this just hit me, but are these bikes fixed gear?
They dont look like theyre freewheels, but theyre probably not the freewheels im used to.

The MTB,single speeds are running a cassette rear hub.They still act as a freewheel,but have alot of spacers to get the chain alignment right.I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow for you.

TheFlyingDingo said:
I dont know why this just hit me, but are these bikes fixed gear?
They dont look like theyre freewheels, but theyre probably not the freewheels im used to.

These are definitely not fixed gear, although there people running them, more like a BMX singlespeed freewheel but still a freehub, but not the the normal MTB 9 speed freehub. Makes for an even dished rear wheel, but still take shimano type cogs. More like this probably, but may vary with manufacturer

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=12521&category=901

yes im still wanting this thing

I looked at that motobecane...it looks extremely cheap, so im avoiding it

and im kind of down to two bikes
The Raleigh XXIX
and the Rig

im test riding both one of these days

TheFlyingDingo said:
I looked at that motobecane...it looks extremely cheap, so im avoiding it

and im kind of down to two bikes
The Raleigh XXIX
and the Rig

im test riding both one of these days

You may want to google "Gary Fisher" and "frame" "break" or "failure", there is a history there (Rig, HiFi, and Super Fly) hopefully worked out at least the Motobecane doesn't have that going against it.

hey dingo what about checking out a cannondale 29er? with a bmx background as yours, certain cannondales offer the optional lockout fork so you could ride rigid or hardtail. and whats not to love about 29 inch wheels! have you seen the lefty forks also?! talk about craziness. good luck finding the right bike for yourself

Easy E

Heres the verdict:
The first shop i went to, Rochester Bike shop...in Rochester
To test out the rig, and get some ideas on how much i would be spending

I walk in the store, nobody comes up to me, nobody says a word.
I finally go up to them, and ask them about the rig, and explain ive called
One guy even looked at me and said "That was YOU?"

the girl went over and took it off the rack for me...
she told me to stand over it...etc etc...

She refused to lower the seat, as it is how it was supposed to be...i explained to her that i used to ride bmx, i never had the seat close to being this high...blah blah blah
I go to test ride it, Im asking questions as i go, i never got one NICE response, it was all sarcasm...the type, Oh you didnt know that, Your stupid...type sarcasm.
i didnt get to ride it how i wanted, i didnt want to, they were terrible. I was treated like i was just some kid going in there, asking stupid questions trying to ride a $1000 bike for giggles...

Now after sitting in traffic going to another store(Cycletherapy in waterford)
I tested the Raleigh XXIX

Awesome...Smooth...Quick
but i just didnt like how heavy it was...the one i rode was the 2009, theres litterally no difference between the 09/10, just color...
09 is a weird blue and the 10 is an awesome lime green.

I allmost want to go back to cycletherapy, The people were SOOOO nice, not one question was unanswered, no hesitations nothing.

But theres a problem, where am i supposed to go to try out the rig now, i cant go back, because i have no temptation to go back
now i have to call around again
And heres pricing
$1450(i can get it for $1250 locally)
rig

And $600 for the 09 and 800 for the 10
xxix
yes, the $200 difference is worth it, since the color is a million times better

Gah!

elvis51 said:
hey dingo what about checking out a cannondale 29er? with a bmx background as yours, certain cannondales offer the optional lockout fork so you could ride rigid or hardtail. and whats not to love about 29 inch wheels! have you seen the lefty forks also?! talk about craziness. good luck finding the right bike for yourself

Easy E
Now, The website only shows a bike with a rigid fork, looks exactly like the raleigh XXIX

Latest posts

Back