I think my wife lost her mind (i know i did)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i was going through some government auction sites the other day and came across this listing. I may share the site after this listing is done) I showed it to her and she shook her head a walked away. A few mins later she came back and said to do it and bid. It's for over 250 bikes in a police impound. I like most on here find allot of bikes that i fix and sell. I did really good with that this year and being she's been out of work for a while now it's been helping us out allot. I'm figuring that most of the others bidding on it are going for the scrap weight so if i'm right I should get it for a good price. I figure i'm gonna loose a GOOD chunk of my yard if i win. But my big concern is transporting them. Their about 50 miles away I have access to a truck and open 12x6 trailer but i figure that will be at least 2 trips. Anyone happen to have any clue how many bikes fit in say a 24' uhaul? Well here's a pic of the pile (not sure the size of the pen but the fences are 8ft)

1681_14_2.jpg

1681_14_4.jpg

1681_14_3.jpg

WOW!!!!! I don't know about a 24', but ya can get about 55 in a 14'! That's what I used to haul my 54 bike ebay collection from just east of Allentown PA to my thyen home in Va. Beach. Moving here to NC, I made one haul that was 99% bikes, but also rims, fenders, frames... ~Adam

Holy cow! It's too bad they piled them up that way. It's gonna be a heck of a job just untangling all those bikes and getting the ones off the top without stepping on and bending things on the bottom bikes.

Good luck!

Lightfoot said:
Holy cow! It's too bad they piled them up that way. It's gonna be a heck of a job just untangling all those bikes and getting the ones off the top without stepping on and bending things on the bottom bikes.

Good luck!

I know i've had this going through my mind for days now. I know how it goes pedals in spoke i have a feeling if i had a helicopter i could just grab the top bike and the rest would come with it...lol.

I'm going out in my yard later (if the rain stops) turning all the handle bars on all my bikes sideways and stacking them tight together so i can get an idea of haw many i can fit in a 24 ft box truck. I really wanna do this n one run. (with gas prices and all) so if anyone happens to have bikes packed tight in a garage or barn or something and would mind measuring let me know. thanks

my biggest problem is finding a co-pilot They have to be picked up on weekdays only between 9-3pm and i'm the only one of my friends that has a weird work schedule with days off during the week. so ummm anyone in the jersey area free umm august 22 or the 25th or 26th??? Their located in hamiliton nj just ouside of trenton and i'm in ocean I have beer and bikes as pay....lol

They should make the guy who's bright idea it was to throw one bike on top of another like that help load them.

On second thought... I don't think you want his help :mrgreen:

On the bright side, it looks as if most of that pile is whole bikes, so quite a bit of it will be clean up and sell. Little elbow grease turnes into wallet fill.

Good luck.

On U-haul rentals, they charge mainly by the miles, so if you're making multiple trips, be aware of that.

Have you dealt with police impounds sales before? What little I've seen there, the great majority of the bikes you couldn't sell for more than $15 or $20 even if you restored them to functioning order. They're $50 Walmart bikes in the first place, they were already worn out, and that's why people didn't bother reclaiming them when they were stolen. And the majority may not be rideable without work. So don't expect a whole lot.

One good thing is that they seem to be fairly clean looking..not a lot of rust yet.

At least the ones on the top...ha ha!

well i drove down there tonight to check out the pile and yes it's a PILE. there are alot of NEXT and other walmart bikes. but theres' quite a few road bike and some other good stuff. On the bottom buried deep i noticed an old school haro and what looked to be (not a hundred % positive there was like 200 bikes on top of it) a complete PK ripper. but all in all the pile is worth some money I'm figuring if i pull 50 $50 bikes that 2500 and i saw quite a few road bike (those i usually get from $75 to $150 for. So i think i'm in this auction till the end and i'll just figure it all out at the end.

Hey, a suggestion (if you get the pile)- be sure to keep your receipt and don't be afraid to show it buyers of the bikes or even give them a copy- nice to know that what you're buying ISN'T stolen.

Hey! If you win that pile, it might be kinda fun to run a little contest sorta like guess how many jelly beans in the jar :lol:

Dude that's MY bike, that one, right there, in the middle! It was stolen three years ago from my house, I know its it its got to be! Wait where did you say you live again? How did my bike get to the east coast from Denver? Maybe the bum that stole it rode it there... I hate bums! They steal my bikes and ride them to Jersey...

Later T

Lightfoot said:
Hey! If you win that pile, it might be kinda fun to run a little contest sorta like guess how many jelly beans in the jar :lol:
My guess is 273 :D A funny thing about the Next bikes; I was doing a "tune up" on one for the kids and my buddy stopped by and asked why they're called Next? I said after you bust it up, you say "Next"! My wife said that you tell your kid at the store "We'll get you a better bike 'Next' time"! :lol: But keep us updated on the pile, looks fun!

Back