I picked up this Firestone this morning.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scored this Firestone this morning at a local thrift store. I've been eyeballing it for a week, waiting for it to go 1/2 off. They wanted 100 bucks for it and I couldn't swing that. . . Well, it's senior citizen's day today! I had to get an old guy to walk it through the checkout for me. :D
So, does anyone have any knowledge of this model? I've googled it to death and can't find anything on it. (in fact, that's how I found this AWESOME site) It has the Firestone emblem on it and a Mesinger seat. I haven't taken it apart yet for cleaning and tweaking. Maybe there are more clues under the dirt.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks, Rob

Firestone-2 by rlightbody, on Flickr

Firestone-5 by rlightbody, on Flickr

Probably mid to late 50's, huffy built. If you ever decide to pull those handlebars and sissy bar off I'd be interested in them.

mid 50's - early 60's. Huffy built,{as mentioned}.
the handlebars, saddle/sissy bar rock,man.
nice score for fifty skins.me like it,
oh yeah,WELCOME,to RRB.

Thanks guys. I was guessing early 70s, but what do I know?
That's why I'm here. I've got a lot to learn.
I want to rat it out and use it for a rider. As I said earlier, y'all are very inspirational. I'm spending hours poking around here.
Thanks again!

It should have a typical Huffy serial number, maybe on the bottom of the crank hanger or rear dropout. 8H00000 would be a '58, or sometimes it's the other way around, can't remmeber at the moment. But that's definitely a mid-late 50s Huffy chainring. Also, most companies started building Schwinn-like cantilever frames like this one in 1958. I think their exclusivity on their patent ran out? I've seen a 1959 Firestone ad that featured all Snyder built bikes, they built Rollfasts too. But there are mid 60s Huffy Firestones too, I think they went back and forth a lot! Sweet deal for $50 though, keep that nice og paint!! -Adam

Cool bike....I love the blue and white original scheme also.

I hope you keep the paint- I love the colors, and the thing is spotless! :mrgreen:

My guess would be that the chainguard, handlebars, seat, and sissy are non stock. I think they are about the right age for the bike, though... In any case it is super cool! :mrgreen:

You guys are great.
Yeah, I agree that the bike is way cool just how it is. I love the paint, but it's not nearly spotless.
I'll be looking around here for tips on cleaning it up and protecting it. I wish I had a warm place to work on it. I can't stand the thought of waiting until spring.
Thanks!

RatRob said:
You guys are great.
Yeah, I agree that the bike is way cool just how it is. I love the paint, but it's not nearly spotless.
I'll be looking around here for tips on cleaning it up and protecting it. I wish I had a warm place to work on it. I can't stand the thought of waiting until spring.
Thanks!

There may or may not be some how-to threads on cleaning up paint, it would be worth searching around for. I am certain that if you ask around you will get plenty of input. :mrgreen: I have had good luck cleaning everything bike related with "Simple Green" solution.

Rustinkerer said:
Also, most companies started building Schwinn-like cantilever frames like this one in 1958. I think their exclusivity on their patent ran out?

Schwinn patented the cantilever frame in 1938. And all the other bike companies said, "Why didn't we think of that?" :( A normal patent is good for 17 yrs. so it would have expired sometime around 1955...after Schwinn had already made 2 million cantilever frames. :p Gary

B607 said:
Schwinn patented the cantilever frame in 1938. And all the other bike companies said, "Why didn't we think of that?" :( A normal patent is good for 17 yrs. so it would have expired sometime around 1955...after Schwinn had already made 2 million cantilever frames. :p Gary

The pacific schwinn site was giving descriptions of their cruisers in the recent past as being "modeled after the classic 1955 designed cantilever frame". I just kept wondering why they picked the year 1955 :lol:

OK. it didn't take much convincing to keep the paint.
I turned it over yesterday. The serial number is 178-1-111.
Is that a clue? You know, I don't really care. I love the bike and will put some serious mileage on it. I guess it's just cool to know the origin.
The more I explore the site and the members, the more excited I am about searching out and restoring old bikes.
I am so happy that I found this community. I hope to get to know y'all and gain knowledge about classic bikes.
I have little kids, and I want to encourage their appreciation of GOOD bikes.
Cheers,
Rob

Latest posts

Back