I NEED HELP WITH BRAKES...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my issue. Im trying to go for some sort of BMX/Cruiser hybrid. The wheels I built are Arays with 80's hubs. The rear is freewheel. Right now I have no brakes and its kinda dangerous. I dont want to switch the hubs or drill the frame, so Im lost on how to put brakes on here. I saw someone on this forum that made removable v brake bosses but no product like that exists to buy. there is a guy down the street that will braze on some bosses but it will cost like 70-90 bucks. I tried to put a side pull brake in the kickstand hole but it did not fit. Im upen to any ideas you have to help. Oh yea also the front fork has no place to put any brakes but im willing to drill into the fork of it would help.

330b43b.jpg

5ldnrl.jpg

30bk4rn.jpg

You could find some of Schwinns add on brakes for thr front fork and you might find a way to use them on the back too.

PM Cameron he can find a way. Udallcustombikes

hey skills! haven't see you on here for a while!

The only thing I can think of is drum brake hubs, but you already have those cool red hubs.

Here's an off the wall idea, take the sprocket off the rear wheel, it's now your new front wheel. Next, unlace the 'old' front hub, save it, sell it, you know.... Then, find a red anodized flip-flop BMX hub, lace it it, that's you're new rear wheel (we'll by using the freewheel side, unless you want a fixie with drum brakes!

Last part, thread on a set of these to hubs.
$(KGrHqMOKiUE3GS6E42QBN1v74q0bQ~~_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280681378011?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

You'll stop on a dime! It would bring a little 'vintage' to it too.

Good luck with the build!

Cheers,
Dr. T

skillsthebarber said:
not sure if the 2 bolts on the fork serve a purpose yet but could you run a bolt thru each side into a threaded pipe and drill a hole in the center as your brake mount for the brake. atleast that way you could change it back rather easy if you decided too

thanks for the ideas guys, I think I might try what dragnusa suggested. The bolst are just for looks.

Dr. T, I have been gone for a while. I had a son in may and has been pretty intense. Any Free time I have is spent resting.But hes 11 months now and can entertain himself long enough for me to work on bikes again. Its good to be back too.

What about a big pad that rubs the back tire like some of the old mini bikes?

@outskirtscustoms I was thinking about something like this in my head but couldnt figure it out. Do you have any pic of this type of setup? I couldnt find any online.

Back