i might have put my thread in the wrong forum

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright read the thread again and get what your sayin.The freewheel is totalled!Your gonna have to buy a freewheel.The left side crank arm is stripped and is not gonna come off without pressure applied to equal areas around the head of the crank arm,which 90 % of the time your going to destroy the arm.The sprocket your trying to use is press fitted onto the drive side arm and has been oversized on the spindle hole and I dont think you can get a spcer to make it work.Origin 8 makes a very resonable crank,and it will work WAY better for you than to jimmy these cranks together.You might be able to reuse the bottom bracket if its the right bottom bracket size.

bikejunkie said:
Alright read the thread again and get what your sayin.The freewheel is totalled!Your gonna have to buy a freewheel.The left side crank arm is stripped and is not gonna come off without pressure applied to equal areas around the head of the crank arm,which 90 % of the time your going to destroy the arm.The sprocket your trying to use is press fitted onto the drive side arm and has been oversized on the spindle hole and I dont think you can get a spcer to make it work.Origin 8 makes a very resonable crank,and it will work WAY better for you than to jimmy these cranks together.You might be able to reuse the bottom bracket if its the right bottom bracket size.
yea i heard i might be able to grind off the sprocket. mike is shipping me one, already ground off.

the freewheel i took apart is probably toast. i have another one on another OCC bike i might be able to use, or i just came across a song yim (i cant rmember what it's called) freewheel on the back of a twisted up mongoose wheel. perhaps that'd be a better choice?

the mongoose also has 1 piece cranks that i could swap with my three piece. still dunno what i'll do for spacers.

The freewheels your talking about on the mongoose and the OC bikes are junk.Whether they spin or not.I would not reuse an old freewheel from either of those bikes.Do yourself a favor and just buy a freewheel,they're only $12-$15 bucks.This may save you thousands in dentist bills when these junk freewheels give out and you find your stem with your teeth!Haha!!Just something thats not worth the risk.

bikejunkie said:
The freewheels your talking about on the mongoose and the OC bikes are junk.Whether they spin or not.I would not reuse an old freewheel from either of those bikes.Do yourself a favor and just buy a freewheel,they're only $12-$15 bucks.This may save you thousands in dentist bills when these junk freewheels give out and you find your stem with your teeth!Haha!!Just something thats not worth the risk.

lol

i wasn't aware they could be so inexpensive. what's a decent brand to look for around those prices?

In that price range, either an ACS Claw or a Shimano will be a good buy, and both are probably readily available at your LBS.

Back