I have a Question...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out on a walk today and I passed by an old scrap yard, through the fence I saw several old looking bike frames and bikes. I know for sure the scrap yard has been shut down for many, many years. I'd really like to have a look at those frames but I have no way of finding out who owns the property. Any ideas on how I could get a look, and possibly salvage, without getting busted?

I also passed a house near by that had a vintage bike along the back fence. No one was around so I couldn't ask about it.

Has anyone else had this problem? You find a bike or bikes and you'd like to salvage them but have no way of knowing how to do so properly? If anyone else has had this please let me know how you resolved the issue. Thank you.

Happend to me many times :roll: Ended up not getting the bike :x :x :x :cry:

Get the address of the property the bikes are on and go to the courthouse or police station (where ever you pay your property taxes) They should be able to let you know who owns the property, Then whitepages.com should get you a phone number, a phone call and maybe a little runaround and you could get lucky or you could get a hoarder's contact info. :mrgreen:

I found a property that had an old car I wanted and ended up owning the house for nothing but the back taxes! and got the old car for free! (Which was twice what it was worth..... :roll: lol)

osc, were you able to register and license the car? im sure your state is different than mine, just curious.

X-RAY said:
osc, were you able to register and license the car? im sure your state is different than mine, just curious.

I had to run the vin # through D.M.V. to find the last known owner, send a return receipt letter to the last known address of the owner and when it came back I took it to the DMV and they issued me a title, LOTS of paperwork, I ended up selling it halfway through restoring it but I don't see why I couldn't have licensed it with the title.

woulda been easier to switch vin plates with one in a junkyard that had a title. oops, that would be illegal. :wink:

Thanks guys for the responses.
Waterproof note for the one on the fence is a great idea. I'll put one on the door of the house tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get a contact on that. Because of it's closeness to the scrapyard they may know who owns it too... I'll check with the city and see if I can reach the owners of the scrapyard as well. I hate to say it but I believe there are bike frames in there that were stolen stripped and dumped. The one I'm interested in though is beside one of the buildings and has been there for a long time. I'll post in the fresh finds if anything comes of this.

Yeah but it's pretty hard to find a 1959 Imperial in a junkyard to get a title.....Let alone a limo. The guy who bought it was a collector and went nuts when he saw it, offered me an insane amount for it, and I helped him load it up. I should have finished restoring it myself and kept it but oh well I'll find another someday.

just ask around ...houses busnesses around the junk yard ...someone will know something im sure !!!! or the city hall should be able 2 tell ya ...if nothing else just jump the fence and look ...just dont take anything ..if anyone says anything just tell em u been lookin for the owner and have had no luck and u were just lookin not takin ....u should b ok !!! maybe a tresspass ticket no biggie !!!!

mikesbikes36 said:
just ask around ...houses busnesses around the junk yard ...someone will know something im sure !!!! or the city hall should be able 2 tell ya ...if nothing else just jump the fence and look ...just dont take anything ..if anyone says anything just tell em u been lookin for the owner and have had no luck and u were just lookin not takin ....u should b ok !!! maybe a tresspass ticket no biggie !!!!

Hey even if you do get caught they might contact the owner to ask him if anything was taken......That's how to find him...... :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
mikesbikes36 said:

Hey even if you do get caught they might contact the owner to ask him if anything was taken......That's how to find him...... :mrgreen:

Heh heh heh ya and then I can ask him if I can take something! I think I will poke around a little more to see what there is to see.

Back