I gotta think this won't sell.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna watch that auction just to see what happens. Who knows, maybe he'll get it. I don't really think people get into building/riding Klunkerz because they're so functional. Once upon a time that was the only option, but that was 30 years ago. Nowadays these are just functional pieces of art and history, kinda like riding a Bobber moto or driving an old T-Bucket hot rod. It's a part of American history. Not necessarily functional, but cool. These bikes show off your style and/or wrenching abilities. They give a nod to more innocent time when you couldn't just walk in somewhere and lay your money down. You had to at least know somebody who was into this stuff. You had to get greasy. Now you can buy a safer, better riding bike...made in China... for 20% of the price that picking up these old parts will cost you. That's not the point.

If you want a real Klunker and don't want to hassle finding a good frame, sourcing all the parts, building up the wheels, and figuring out how to put it all together, there's only one place to go. This guy built a ton of them for folks who mattered 'back in the day'. Some believe his bikes gave the movement critical mass and helped create the industry. I guess that's why he's in the MTB Hall of Fame. (I don't guess, really. I nominated and inducted him at InterBike in '10). The bike will cost you, but it will be right and tight. If you're gonna pay that kind of big money, you should get a nice pre-war and have the real parts from the klunker period...Unions, T/As, Brooks, etc. Plus, it's nice to get it from the source.
Ride on
http://www.clunkers.net
http://www.completesite.com/mbhof/page.cfm?pageid=6&year=2010&memberid=204

Bicycle808 said:
The ad that expjawa linked is hilarious. Besides the missing photos, we have a bike that is described as "...100% original been sitting in storage for 50 years. In excellent condition. needs to be restored." How would I go about "restoring" a bike that is 100% original and in excellent condition?

An updated ad with a picture: http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bik/2850027599.html

That explains the need for resto. I think his price is off a few decimal points, but as been discussed above, I suppose that's his business. Eventually, he'll figure it out...

Oh, yeah! Those pics certainly depict a bike in "excellent" condition.

A few decimal points? I gotta tell the truth; I'd be stoked to get that for $90. :)

-rob

Well- after reading Klunkerbill's post I sorta' get it. But like I said- In '78 I had my Spitfire set up for doing exactly that- charging down hills. And that was after trying it on an old Co-ed middle weight that wasn't quite up to the task. And, like these guys, I did what I could with what was available- largest rear sprocket I could get for the old Bendix '76, a front brake, thorn proof tubes. I remember that Bendix smoking, and dripping grease after some of the downhill runs, and I'd have to re pack the wheels after every couple of rides. It just never struck me as anything "historic", or worth getting nostalgic about. Perhaps because I was the only one I knew who was doing it. Many times I tried to get some of my surfing buddies to come out to the hills, and try this crazy new stunt I dreamed up. Never got any takers. Using the old Schwinns was like riding the old steel wheeled skateboards we rode when I was a kid- you just made do until something better came along. Don't get wrong, here I'm not knocking it, or trying be snarky. It's just a case of my not being clear on the idea.

JWM

Ha Ha...just ask Gary Fisher and Joe Breeze...they didn't think they were up to anything historic either. :lol:

I don't think anyone is arguing that the technology is 100 times better today than it was back then, it basically comes down to nostalgia and style. Kind of like the vintage BMX bikes of the 80s. There's a HUGE collectors market for this stuff, but it wouldn't be considered the best bikes to race with by today's standards.

People like Klunkerz because they are just plain cool and make them smile. 8)

Back