I found a SEARS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just picked this up off Craigslist today. I think it's a '69-'70 Spyder. I ended up paying $140 for it because the actual seller wasn't there when I looked at the bike. So I couldn't negotiate on the price at all, which is a little upsetting but I thought this bike was too awesome to pass up. I know it'll ride awesome with the 5-speeds and 24" wheels.
I'm really excited about this bike! It is in great condition and is complete!Not even a tear in the saddle or grips. :D
SearsSpyder_zps2becfc78.jpg

SearsSpyder2_zps1977d688.jpg

SearsSpyder3_zpsa0463b54.jpg

SearsSpyder1_zps7893f0f8.jpg

SearsSpyder5_zpsfa36ee36.jpg

SearsSpyder6_zps0d59ed78.jpg

SearsSpyder7_zps1a64f2e3.jpg

SearsSpyder4_zpsc98219a8.jpg

nice score! I recently found a purple one just like yours, its a bit earlier than your thinking i would say 66-67 is when it
was made. its the model right before they went to the double back brakes in 68. congrats! :D

Look back on the left rear dropout and post the serial. Might be able to pinpoint the year better.

heres a scan from a 67 sears catalog.
kenny66cat.jpg

68 is when they changed the frame style and went to the double brakes on the rear so I'd say its a 67. from what i can tell 67 is the first year they went to that round style chain guard.

Great score! $140 is still a good price! I've got a '69 (unverified) Gold one that I'm still tracking down parts and have to completely rebuild. I'll have a lot more than $140 in it when it's all said and done.

I would break yours down, clean up that chrome and paint, and put it back together and ride it as-is! Good job!

Great score on a complete bike, ride the crap out of it!!!

Thanks for all the info on the bike. I really needed it since this was only the 2nd muscle bike I've owned. But now I feel the need to pick up a few others.
My plan for the bike is to completely go through it, shine it up, and replace things like cables/chain/etc. But I think I'll keep the original tires they look like they're still in pretty good shape. And I think anything like whitewalls would look too flashy.
I think I'll be able to work on the bike in about two weeks since I'll have a 4 day weekend. :D
Oh, and thanks for the catalog scans. It's cool to see that these were top of the line for sears BITD.

Back