I dont get Burritos?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To save face, I've only heard the term California burrito applied to wraps. To really save face, I don't like a girlled fruit-o-licious wrap. I'll take the basics. Back to losing points with the Californians, I've got a Colorado address.

i very very rarely eat any form of fast food.

If the only burritos you have come from a fast food place, I'm sorry for you.

Oh ya we're talking about bikes; those things I ride to get burritos...

Bettleguise said:
Plus, it's a step away from ridding a recumbent bike. And a recumbent is about as dorky as you can get, while at the same time reducing your visibility in traffic. And that's irony. People who drive recumbent bikes are odd balls and if you ever ask them anything about their bike, they get really defensive.

Never been a big fan of recumbent s myself, there's alot of them about on the Endless Sphere e-bike forum, some .... fast ones too I don't see them as dorky at all, unsafe in traffic definitely, looking at cars hub caps aint my idea of a safe riding postilion. Can any of your Burrito riders admit too riding more than 20-30 mile on a burrito though ? They look more of a novelty bike to ride to the local store to pick up a dvd or carton of milk. As far as actual usable transport to get to and from work (for example) that is more than 2-3 mile away would be a bit of an ask wouldnt it? Looking at the examples listed here, the head rake and overall frame geometry would make then a very un-agile performing bike. I guess i'm more into bikes that are built for performance and function rather than for 'shock' value. Each to their own whatever floats your boat world would be boring place if everyone thought the same now wouldnt it :)

KiM

EDIT:

p.s can someone post some examples of 'non-ratty' builds, as in more 'show' bike burrito's...pro paint quality components etc, or is this not really the Burrito way? All the burritos i have seen are more rat-type bicycles slapped together from cut up wallmart type bikes rather than full custom built ground up builds...

bigblockthing said:
my bad i totally didnt realize anybody else ever used one..so not trying to take credit completely...but now you have me wanting pictures sir :D

I can probably get a picture of the shifter later this week, but the pics of it on the old bike went away with CBN and our old computer when it was power surged. :( Mine had the blade edge facing back. Probably a good thing I took it off when I did! Here's a pic of the bike it was on. It just wasn't on in this picture.
ratasia6.jpg

I didn't mean to come down on you like that and it's not something that I usually do. It just hit me the wrong way. I hear and see this alot and I see alot of people taking credit for things they didn't build on a monthly basis. I know/knew that you meant no harm and that in your case you probably did think that you were the first (as many others have, including myself when I first started). But your bike is cool as heck and you should be proud of every thing you did to her! 8) I noticed the shifter right away and knew we were both twisted individuals! :wink: Keep up the crazy, bizzare stuff and you'll always grab attention!
Chainy

KOTA said:
Here's a quote from the man himself! (Honest Abe)
Junkman has been making some SIC bikes for a long time.

Re: The Burrito Revolution.....
by Honest Abe on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Okay, for some the name is confusing. Originally the name "Burrito" was termed from Junkman on CBN. I could not attach the link, but it was basically a joke and thrown into the mix before the vote was made. I cut and pasted part of that post.

I don't know, "LongRiders" sounds to logical. When someone asks "Hey what style of bike is that?" and you tell them, "It's a LongRider." The conversation kinda ends. I like Junkman's quote that they should be called "Burrito" bikes. 1st you have a late night burrito, then you go to bed, and BAMM, you had a dream. Maybe not on the same level of Martin Luther King, but nevertheless how to build a butt scrappin bike! It could be a combination of Taco Bell indigestion gases causing a toxic hallucination, I don't know, but now when the same question is asked, there is a story.

DONE!

socal_jack said:
Korporal said:
i very very rarely eat any form of fast food.

If the only burritos you have come from a fast food place, I'm sorry for you.

If you mean like Taco Bell or something, then yeah. But a real Mexican taqueria or taco shop is another story.
so true! I get home made whenever I want! MMM but back to the topic I'm not really into burrito bikes but I have to agree with socal_jack that honest abes bike is a thing of beauty.

Again, If you have a burrito' tallbike or any other style, if it's not set up for you, it's not gonna be comfortable!
To answer Aussie's question .... Yeah, many of our guys routinely ride their Burritos (and Tallbikes) well into the 30 mile range on our all day cruises. Michigan's own Gotavan has ridden his Tallbike repeatedly over the years in everything from a fun cruise to several century rides! TIII and his Shift for Brains team (the Florida boys) rode 150 miles for MS this past year! Scrappy Ron (he goes by RON_468 on here) has ridden his Goody Two Shoes in the 20+ miles range more times than I can count! And this is just one of the Autorama award winning Burrito style bikes to come outta the Scrapyard Choppers shop. Infact most of our FreakBike members ride the heck outta their show bikes! Paint can be touched up or the bike can be repainted! I've seen and heard about guys on big money customs play chicken, trash both bikes and laugh about it! Sam McKay from Firebikes and Eric Hannan from Hannan Customs have had a few battles over the years. :shock:

Beetleguise, It's not so much a step away from a recumbent as it is a step in the direction of the future of bicyles! Outfront peddaling is alot easier and more comfortable to ride. It's not as hard on your knees and other body parts. Other than for jumping, offroading or huge milage, I'll take an outfronter any day of the week. In the next few years, there will be some big advancements in gearing and you'll nolonger have to stand on the pedals to get up a hill. Bikes will start to stretch out more and seating will become more chair/car seat like. In essence the need for today's normal bike will change to meet the needs of true commuters. And most importantly, they will no longer be demmed as TOYS to the genertal public!

Another thing, don't kid yourself about not needing the shock factor! You're posting on a board designated for customizing and showing off your bikes! Every time you take your two wheeled creature out you look forward the attention it recieves! You post on the various boards to get praise and adulation from your peers! In fact some of you get ticked off when you don't get it!

Now the safety factor ....
Everything thats customized goes against the original safety factors of whatever the product was built for! Whether it's a full on custom or you just changed tires it's only as safe as what you just did. Normal bikes get ran over all the time. Safety concious people are just as capable of getting hit as stupid ones. Most drivers don't discriminate against what style bike your riding! It's HOW you're riding that you guys should worry about!
Chainy

bigblockthing said:
Chainsaw said:
bigblockthing said:
...and im pretty sure im the first person to ever use a meatcleaver as a shift lever and a bowling trophy figure as a fender ornament

I don't wanna be a "Richard", but I love it when guys think they are the first to come up with something! On a daily basis I see things on this board and many others that are "the firsts" that I've usually seen several times before.
I did the meatclever shifter thingy about 3 years ago and I know that there have been others long before mine. As far as the bowling trophy figure fender ornament. I think just about every type of trophy topper has seen atleast one fender over the years. Probably before you or I were born (or close to it). I think it's fair to say that both are unique but that's about as close as anything gets, especially with all the talent that our hobby offers.

I will say that you inspired me to pull out my old meatclever shifter to use on an upcoming build! :D

my bad i totally didnt realize anybody else ever used one..so not trying to take credit completely...but now you have me wanting pictures sir :D

I saw a meat cleaver shifter on a rat rod car a few years back at Autorama--how's that for an anti-theft device? I wonder if they drove with it on...I might have pic of it, if I find it, I'll share...
First time I recall seeing the bowling trophy as a hood ornament was about 20 years ago, a family freind had it--I can't recall which car it was on--(he had a late '60's Buick 225 w/Jolly Rogers on the front doors & an early '70's Dodge Polara), but the figure was facing the windsheild so the hood was his bowling lane. I've more recently seen gilded bowlers facing forward & have thought "what's the point ?". Thanks for jogging my memory, I haven't thought of that guy or his cars in a while. No clue where he is now or what he's up to, but he's definitely the kind of guy who would ride a tall bike or a burrito.

Burritos are traditional Mexican food, though it seems alot of cultures eat things rolled up in flat bread.
Mexican Americans invented lowrider cars, maybe the name reflects that? I dunno...

this sounds sorta like the argument made against "boardtrack" style bikes. when people ask me is it comfortable i say "to me yes although it is probably not as efficient as other forms of bikes." then i smile and say "oh the price we pay to look cool!!!!"

KOTA said:

Okay, for some the name is confusing. Originally the name "Burrito" was termed from Junkman on CBN. I could not attach the link, but it was basically a joke and thrown into the mix before the vote was made. I cut and pasted part of that post.

I don't know, "LongRiders" sounds to logical. When someone asks "Hey what style of bike is that?" and you tell them, "It's a LongRider." The conversation kinda ends. I like Junkman's quote that they should be called "Burrito" bikes. 1st you have a late night burrito, then you go to bed, and BAMM, you had a dream. Maybe not on the same level of Martin Luther King, but nevertheless how to build a butt scrappin bike! It could be a combination of Taco Bell indigestion gases causing a toxic hallucination, I don't know, but now when the same question is asked, there is a story.

Are you guys READING this? :lol: ................This is where the name came from.

kota u know i gotta love a bike that makes others kinda wonder or not like it or such.

karfer67 said:
kota u know i gotta love a bike that makes others kinda wonder or not like it or such.
All kidding aside.......I'd love to see what YOUR interpretation (version) of a burrito would be. Think you'll ever do one?

i almost did with the frame i ended up using for the last build off. but temptation and others pushing me to try again made me not turn that one into a burrito. but i have an idea in my head for one that might just use some design Q's from the galt town hooligan after a few others made suggestions about my "induction" setup. time shall tell

KOTA said:
KOTA said:

Are you guys READING this? :lol: ................This is where the name came from.

Some people just need to be squatted across the nose with a wet Burrito before it sinks in! :lol:

I remember that whole thread over on CBN.

:lol: I meant swatted. But squatted may help too!

I'm sure that enough of everyone has put in their two cents to make my ante to this pot useless, but: I think the burrito was kinda of a logical follow-up to the Dyno Roadster. It's kinda like putting air bags on an old Licoln or Caddy and leeting it slam. Does it really need to have more trouble getting over a speed bump? Porbably not. For that matter, does any of waht any of us are doing to bikes, on this site, really make sense or need to be done? Why do we do it? I think, mostly. because it makes us grin and hopefully a few others grin as well...

Back