I created a MONSTER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We bought my son a MTB for his 6th birthday a couple of months ago. During spring break he went to a MTB class for 6-8 year olds. Now he won't ride his Buthered Bantam- mountain bike only. One benefit is he goes faster on rides around town. Now I need to get a MTB for some trail use. The wife even said it was okay. :shock:

CIMG0817.jpg

CIMG0779.jpg

Wow Clancy, that is cool on a number of fronts.
1.) You have an excuse to buy a new mountain bike.
2.) Your wife has given you permission to buy a new mountain bike.
3.) You get to hang out with your son and ride your new mountain bike.

I am sure there are a bunch more :)

MTB or Rat, it's all good!

Hooch said:
you shouldnt have stripped your klunker!
I live in Idaho not Iowa :mrgreen: If he really gets into it, then I will need some more substantial. Boise has some great MTBing and the trails are less than a mile from my house. Here is a link to the trail system in the Foothills. http://www.cityofboise.org/parks/R2R/tr ... 2RFull.pdf

I couldnt believe my wife gave me the thumbs up. The only problem is the cost. But I think something can be found on CL.

I've often wondered how you go about choosing the right MTB.

Frame material, suspension type, brand, etc.

Seems like too many possibilities.

1. Pick your price.
2. pick Hardtail or Full Suspension.
3. Pick your price.
4. Pick your level of components
5. Pick your price.
6. Pick Steel or Aluminum.
7. Purchase.

Just looking at the local CL, I would be buying a $600 bike. MTB go from entry level $300 to $3000 expert. My ideal bike would be steel, Nice suspended fork and Deore LX,XT or XTR.

If you can afford to pop for something with discs I would reccomend them. Preferrably hydraulic vs. mechanical.
I also would go for a little cheaper grouppo and get something with rear suspension. I still have a couple of hardtails and ride them occasionaly, but the level of comfort and safety that you get from a fully suspended bike is well worth the money IMHO.

I would try to get a MTB with a decent frame and then add better components as you go. Personally I prefer a good hardtail steel frame (4130, Reynolds 631) over Alloy as the ride feels more responsive with a touch more flex. Unless you are planning to ride a lot of downhill I would go with a hardtail as you lose a lot of power when riding a full suspension on single track (just my 2c worth).

It took me about 5 years total to get all the components together for my MTB and probably saved me around $1500 over buying the bike already spec'd:

PICT7002.jpg

And definitely hydraulic over mechanical disk brakes...

I would have to say Avid mechanicals are excellent, and perform as well as hydraulic, are lighter and are practically trouble free... thought I would toss in my
2cents2.gif
. And you're right aluminum frames ride stiffer, (as in blurry vision)!

maddogrider said:
Looks like you need to move the water bottle before you have to fix a black eye.

Only place it mounts unless I bought a behind the seat mount.

Quanah said:
I would have to say Avid mechanicals are excellent, and perform as well as hydraulic, are lighter and are practically trouble free... thought I would toss in my
2cents2.gif
. And you're right aluminum frames ride stiffer, (as in blurry vision)!

I agree about the mechanical disc. BB7's seem to be easy to work on and get great revues.

Went out for a ride after the rain. He wanted to hit every puddle that we could find.

0428091756.jpg

Nah Mate,you don't need rear suspension. It has it's place,but in the $600-ish price range (new),you'd be looking at a 40 lb bohemoth w/ bottom barrel frame and components (think Wallymart Mongoose,then add a couple hundred bucks :? ).There are a few exceptions (like Giant's Rekon),but they're the exception,not the rule. You can get a decent hardtail,that's worthy of a few upgrades for kinda that scratch,tho. You'd be looking at some kind of alluminum,or 4130 chromo frames,mid level fork (or rigid),V's or cable discs,or at least disc ready. Should have a mix of mid-level Sram (X5 or 7) or Shimano (Deore,or-no longer making LX,it's-SLX) components,and mot likely house brand cockpit and wheels.

I'm like,the mtn bike freak of the groups I regularly get to ride w/ (ask any of em :p ),and I personally get a kick outta beatin my buds riding 5" dual sussers up every (down most) hills and back to the trailhead on these (a 100mm Fox forked SS-that's singlespeed-and fully rigid 29er runnin a 2x9 drivetrain). Hydraulic brakes do bring a notch or three above mechanical discs,but in recent years,Avid's line of bb series have grown a very loyal following,and rep (I run bb5's with 185mm rotors front and rear on the 29er).

3-22-09RandomBikePics7.jpg

3-22-09RandomBikePics1.jpg

A good dealer is more important than a slightly lower price,or slightly better components in the long run. And take as many test rides as feasable,make sure the frame you pick fits you well,and remember,perfect fit usually doesn't happen before a couple good rides,where you tweak minor adjustments. Wear a friggin helmet to! Look at the middle of this vid of me and my oldest friend last Wednesday-we were just goofing off in the rain for a few hours,and he figured "hey,we aren't really riding,just playing"...on wet logs and wet leaves,his crash was funny,but had he been over to the right just an inch,I woulda had to figure out how to get two bikes out of there :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykJDOauGlMs

Oh.... :oops: ....almost forgot! BIG congrads on getting your son the kool bike!!! I know riding w/ my kids is always more fun than riding singletrack!!! :mrgreen:

Back