I bet the bike scene in your area isn't as lame as here.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MERK said:
B607 said:
BrunneCustoms said:
The "interesting" bikes are usually ridden by homeless guys.

Aw, c'mon! How can you be homeless in Canada? It's winter 10 months of the year. Do they live in igloos built on the sidewalk? :p Gary

If they did that, they wouldn`t be homeless... :lol:

Oh dear... Igloos!? Really? :D No up here they sleep in bus shelters over night if they aren't kicked out by the idiot cops. Still though lame scene up here.
On a side note... I don't know anyone here at all but I have to tell you BE CAREFUL!!! There has been a couple of folks hit on bikes here recently. Banged up pretty bad. I would hate to hear of anyone on this forum getting clipped by some moron bad driver.

You're right! I live in the #1 cycling city in the U.S. this year!

I work at a bike shop and there are at least 9 other shops within two miles, and about double that in 5 miles. TONS of riders and builders of all sorts.

O.k. guys, I got to chime in ...
I've been watching this thread and pretty much new exactly where this would end up.
The easiest way to get others to ride is to do these 7 things:
1. Get out and ride your bike as much as possible! Ride it into the township parks, the town squares, the local party store, wherever people are gonna see you. Then park it and hangout.
2. Pass out flyers, business cards, etc. to get people's attention.
3. While riding or hanging out answer questions and ask questions. If anyone even looks remotely interested start a conversation.
4. Use craigslist or similar classifieds to get the word out about the upcoming ride that you wanna have or to look for other's rides.
5. Expect to have to drive an hour or so out of your area to meet up with like minded enthusiasts.
6. Hang out at car and motocycle shows. I prefer car shows over motorcycle shows. The car guys are way more receptive of custom bikes. Motorcycle guys sometimes see us as threats to their motorcycles.
7. And most of all, don't be afraid to run with the other groups of bicycles! Kenny P started the original FreakBike Militia from a bunch of mountain bike riders. Most all custom guys have a strong background in one of the other styles of bike riding. The FreakBike Nation has roadies, bmxers, moutain bikers, HPVers, car and motocycle guys, just to name a few who enjoy the custom bike movement! But on our FreakBike rides 90% of the bikes are customs (Kustoms if you're feeling really cool!)

When you do get people interested in showing up, make sure that everyone's on the same page.
Custom rides slow so people can see all the cool! Roadies ride fast so their friends don't see them in spandex! :mrgreen:

If you follow even just a few of my suggestions, you should be able to get some people to ride.
Get out and push the issue don't sit on your butts and complain that you've got nobody to ride with!
Also most bike shops could care less about customs. What little bit of money they make off us, isn't worth their time. Plus if you're talking to their potential customers, then you're stopping them from making a sale on a new overpriced bike. NOT ALL BIKE SHOPS FEEL THIS WAY, but most do!
Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask me any questions.

it takes alot of work putting together ride, events what have ya to get it going. in nor cal there not much of a scene and only through the hard work of a few guys and gals puting together events, rides, swaps etc..... i would suggest starting a ride of some sort. from there maybe go to local car shows once u get a few guys together and do a display. good luck and keep at it

Latest posts

Back