Hydro drive?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If well thought out, this could eliminate the need for brakes and chains. It would look like a magic drivetrainless bike. Admittedly the motor sticking out the side looks dorky, but I think a hub motor would look clean. Seat stay tubes could swoop forward and serve as fluid delivery and return. Don't know why I never did any recumbents like this, but I'm working on a low racer now with all kinds of chain management issues...maybe I need to try this on that...

From what I have read, new, well tuned and lubed chain systems are around 97% efficient, but can drop to 80% when worn and out of tune. I mean, performance efficiency is obviously not the top priority of rat rods and choppers. These heavy, fat tire, less than optimal geometries are built for looks. I think an invisible drivetrain would look wicked cool.

Peatbog said:
fritzschantz said:
I think an invisible drivetrain would look wicked cool.

That would be cool--wasn't something I considered.

You could make a front wheel drive bike relatively easy using that hydraulic idea. Two wheel drive could be done also.

Those guys apparently made their own pump, but I am betting something already made could be adapted. One would just have to make a thru shaft instead of the typical one-side shaft. Or just mount a pump directly above a standard crank and connect it with chain, belt, or gear drive. A front wheel drive bicycle would be fun to build using that idea just because it could be done. I will have to contemplate this situation.
Im sure you could style a 2 wheel drive bike after a rokon

I'm thinking a single side rear "swing arm", hydrostatic motor inside a fat rim like a econo spare tire, driven by 2 lever driven dual acting cylinders instead of a rotary pump. Mounting these cylinders up by the steer tube and dropping the drive levers down would eliminate the need for any framework to support the usual low mounted crank. Not that low framework does not look cool, but eliminating the need of it opens some new possibilities in frame design...

Chain lines aren't a problem, if you take them into consideration before you start building. Fit them before anything gets welded solid(tack & fit,until everything works. Or you can always go with the"Opps. I didn't plan well" trick and use a skateboard wheel to get a functioning chain line :wink: ) I, personally, like using a chain. There are many types to choose from and they all add "personality" to the build.
It's a cool idea, but, I think the old shaft drives look better. They don't have a big tube sicking out or a cable(well, that's what the white thing looks like to me. :? )
It's a cool idea and pretty neat that someone made it work, but I'll stick with a chain.

Back