Huffy Howler questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
7any5yzu.jpg

I was just looking at the mash-up of bikes in our apartment and I dug out my old huffy howler. (i have three stuck in our tiny bedroom) This was the very first means of transportation I ever bought with my own money. I saved forever to get this and I geeked out a bit on it since I loved the full suspension. Every other bike I had growing up was a hand-me-down, which I had no trouble with. All were huffys which were fully indestructible. This one I took extra special care of, though. It got washed and put inside after every ride. In the summer that meant every day. Farm living also meant it got dirty... A LOT! I lost track on how many miles I put on it... The only aftermarket parts on it are a bell taillight, some alloy pedals I put on it last summer, and a weinmann alloy rear wheel. I let my rather hefty cousin ride it and he smoked the rear bearings a long time ago.

Now that I'm through reminiscing about the past I would like to ask what I should do with it now that I have built two bikes that fit me better. I'm 6'3" or so and it was sort of awkward to ride a stock 24" bike. I don't plan on selling it since it has a lot of sentimental value to me. I have a few concerns and questions I hope someone can help answer for me. Before I start so I don't sound too dumb I don't know a whole bunch about cassette derailleur systems seeing that I have never attempted to repair one.

1. What can I do to make this thing fit a guy of my height better?

2. The rear cassette is looking worn out. Is it good to keep using or if I should replace it is it a universal kind of part or do I need to replace the whole rear wheel?
java5eze.jpg

3. The derailleur cogs are worn as well. Both barely show any teeth left at all. Can I replace the cogs or do I have to change the derailleur assembly?
u4equbam.jpg

4. Should I give it some more flare or keep it the way it is?

Your thoughts are very appreciated!

~Ron~

Aside from adjusting the seat and handlebar height, I don't think there is a great deal you could do to make this bike fit you better than it already does. Large fellows like yourself need to consider this when selecting their initial purchase. Manufacturers do produce frames that are more appropriate to your size, but you're not likely to find them at the "one size fits all" department store.

The cassette in photo #2 does not look badly worn to me. Even if it is, it can be replaced with little effort. The wheel does not need to be sacrificed. I'm guessing that it is a six-speed freewheel, which means that the gears and ratchet are an assembly that threads onto the hub itself. Its removal will likely require a special tool--a keyed socket that grabs the assembly from the center.

The nylon cogs in photo #3 are called jockey wheels and they can also be replaced very easily. They consist of the wheel itself, a metal bushing, and two grease-retaining washers. There are lots of styles these days, so I suggest taking one of your originals to the bike shop if you wish an exact replacement.

From your narrative, it sounds as though your bearings could stand an overhaul--another task that is common and easily performed.

Back