Huffy Cranbrook headtube size + desirable triple tree fork:

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a fork to use on my build and I can not find out if my headtube is 1" or 1 1/8". I also would like some feedback on the fork I decided to use if in fact my headtube is 1".

http://bikebuyers.com/PART-FY-TPT-570.htm

Is the 26" a good length where I will not look chopperish? Thanks guys I really need the help I'm trying to find the perfect fork. And can I buy the longer fork and place it at a desirable height and cut the extra from the top?

The 26" listed for the fork refers to the fork fitting a 26" wheel/tire, not the length of the fork itself.

You can measure your head tube to determine the inside diameter, but the 1 or 1-1/8 is the outside diameter of the steering tube for the fork.

I can't answer that question, 'cause I have never had my grubby hands on one. By the pics, you should be able to, but cutting tubing/pipe SQUARE can be really tricky. If you know of someone with an abrasive chopsaw, that would be your second best alternative....first being cut/trued in a lathe.

JHJams said:
Cant I just adjust the longer forks and cut the extra tubing from the tops?

You sure can, hack saw or better yet pipe cutters. But you can't change your head tube diameter and I don't know if the huffy is 1" or 1 1/8". Another word of warning, on the 1" head tubes there are a couple of different race diameters. One just a bit smaller than the other so if you are going to replace the headset make sure you get the one that is going to fit the forks. I had to press out and turn the steer tube to get around this and without the right tools (press and lath) it would be impossible.

Thanks guys, I'm trying to make sure I order the right stuff so I do not mess up.

Try as you might to order the 'right' parts, you may still have only a 50/50 chance.
Figure what the stock fork steertube is, pop the top nut and measure it.
If it is a 1", and short a bunch of parts in your bin and a 1 1/8" steertube to trial fit, and/or a bunch of experience fitting odd stuff, stick with the stock size.
Order the fork and have the supplier provide the headset that FITS the FORK steertube properly and with yours/their best guess on fitting your frame headcups.

word on the interwebs is, it's got a 1" steerer. The huffy sight doesnt say anything, except that specs may change or vary from retailer to retailer. sounds ominous. A lot of folks can look at the stem for a second and tell if it's 1" or 1 1/8", but not everyone can do that yet, so I getcha. (Very few of us can stare at the stem or anything else and tell ya what the headset cup OD is, or the crown race, but that's another pile of poop that you can save for another day, although I suspect crown race issues are in your future, being that you're switching your fork. If you're going from huffy to cheeeep, new, chinese chinese "sunlite springers, though, it'll prolly be the same one. If you're looking to put something old on there, you'll prolly need a new race).

Simple fact is, in these trying times with weird variations in products with the same name but potentially different manufacturers and specs, you gotta measure. I don't want to come off like a smart@$$, but if you're going to switch the fork, you're going to need to take a wrench to this critter anyway. It'll take way less time, effort, and guesswork if you loosen your stem and headset and just measure your steertube. Measure the length of it (the steer tube) and the length of the threaded section while you're at it, so you'll better know what replacement fork to get. I could do that a lot quicker than the time it takes to type a question online, wait for answers, read the answers, and try to see if there's any answer in the heap that's more accurate then "go measure your steertube". :D (Look at me; i waste more time than anyone with these long posts... procrastinating, is all)

good luck
-rob

Back