How would i seal my bike with a clear primer?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there such thing as clear primer? I stripped all my paint off my tallbike and i was going to paint it. But since i like it so much raw metal, How would i go about sealing it so no rust or corrosion gets on. Any one have any advice of what to do?

IMG_0776.jpg

if you seal it in clear, moture will be in the air enough to rust over time and you'll me able to see rust form under your clear. I've seen it happen over a few years on a car that was bare metal with no primer and candy cleared over.

I don't see how air gets under clear coat, but I would make sure the bare metal is cleaned and is free of any surface rust before clear coating it. I'm going to try something different with my bare frame, I'm going to give it 3 coats of wax it and see how long it holds up before rusting. If it lasts 6 months, I'll be happy. If not, I'll clean it and clear coat it.

well, seems like bare metal doesn't work so well and will ware away quicker with just a sealer opposed to multiple coats of primer , sanding and painting.

really- try the gibbs stuff, there are guys that swear by it and run bare metal cars with this on it.

Back