How to put a vintage tank on a different frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody I was wondering if it was possible to take a vintage bicycle tank and put it on a frame that never had a tank? If so could you guide me on how to do that? Thanks

Re: How to put a vintage tank on a different frame

It happens all the time on this forum. There really isn't a how to, but look through the Builds section and you will see plenty of bikes with other make tanks, homemade tanks, fake tank inserts, wooden tanks, metal tanks, plastic tanks, beer bottle tanks, leather tanks, etc..............

There is no single way to do it, because of the variety of frames and tanks out there. As Kingfish said check out the build threads for lots of ideas. If you post up some good pics maybe some people could throw you some more specific ideas.

Depends on what vintage tank you are trying to fit. Schwinn tanks, at least the full ones, will fit many of their frames. It depends on how it looks. I have a murray tank that doesn't look right on my 53 CWC, but nearly fits my 47 CWC. I might modify the brackets to make it fit. Making your own tank or insert might be the best way. I did that with a piece of copper on my 53 CWC:

29cswzq.jpg

Thanks a lot here is a picture of my bike so far. Any ideas on what tank would be good for it? It's a Open Road Montgomery Wards cruiser.
sy6eba9a.jpg

If I were you I would lay the bike on a piece of cardboard and trace the shape of the tank area. Cut out the drawing and trace the shape onto a 2-4 inch thick block of wood that is also high enough. Or you can trace it onto several pieces of plywood and glue them together to achieve thickness. Sand to desired shape, paint and install with copper pipe brackets.

bebopblu said:
If I were you I would lay the bike on a piece of cardboard and trace the shape of the tank area. Cut out the drawing and trace the shape onto a 2-4 inch thick block of wood that is also high enough. Or you can trace it onto several pieces of plywood and glue them together to achieve thickness. Sand to desired shape, paint and install with copper pipe brackets.
or make a fiberglass shell over that wood thank , split it in 2 and have a lighter tank :wink:

OneHorsePower said:
bebopblu said:
or make a fiberglass shell over that wood thank , split it in 2 and have a lighter tank :wink:
I've been wanting to do this for awhile now. I saw a youtube video about doing it except he used layers of rubberized foam glued together and sanded to shape as the form. Unfortunately I didn't try it and now most of my bikes have blocky straightbar prewar frames. Looks like the best way, but if I had a solid block of wood around I'd probably go that route first. Maybe even hollow it out with whatever and slap a door on it with aged brass hinges, make it functional

Back