How to make a suicide brake shifter ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I am looking on how to make a suicide brake shifter if anyone can help without ising any welder thanks
In advance

I am planning a bike at the moment on which I want to have lots of levers and such, and I was thinking of something along the lines of an old style parking brake lever like you might find on an old Chevrolet truck. Here is an old EBAY listing of what I mean...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-1938-1939- ... 1076623143

I had one on an old hot rod I used to own which you can see in this photo...

Revolting_1.jpg

I didn't build the "Revolting" as it was called, so I don't know exactly what the brake lever was from, but I suspect an old chev or ford truck. I reckon something similar on a bike would be cool.

8)

Too bad it never worked real well. I can tell you that if you try to build something like this, make sure you pay close attention to the cable travel and motion ratios. The biggest trouble I had, actually, was getting the brake cable housing to stay put. With out having a proper hard stop for the cable housing, it was tough to get the lever to pull the cable itself without pulling the housing forward. Without that, there's really no actual effective cable travel going on. The problem in this case stemmed from a factory made and crimped brake cable to go with the drum brake hub. In another situation, it could probably be made to work well, with some modification. I figured out a way to improve it, I think, but I'm more likely to build something completely different out of this bike at this point...

Not sure who ,but they took a rear coaster brake and hooked a short chain to it and then
to a cable and made an arm pull the sprocket to activate the brake part. Worked ,but was
mainly for looks. Having a rear wheel on the front added lots of stuff.

I know I'm a minute late but I have a great idea.......
You know drop bar bikes have shifters built into the brake levers, right?
Couldn't ya mount them to a tube clamp thing "simulating," a larger lever, with a squeeze handle thing.
OR
Simple and cheap, make the shift lever round and mount a bar end brake handle.....

Latest posts

Back