how to install a triple clamp fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does any know how to install a 1" electra triple clamp fork on a schwinn frame. what parts do I need...any tips would be cool. I trying to put it on this frame
struts.jpg

first make sure the fork you are ordering has a 1" steer. i asume it is a threadless fork so you will have to get a new headset for this setup. i believe those use a BMX size 1". then install the lower fork crown race on the new fork and the lower bearing. slide the steer through the frame and slide all the stuff for the new headset onto the top of the fork including the stem you want to use. you will note that there should be a long section of steer sticking out that you need to cut off. mark the steer just slightly below the stem and when i mean slight like 1/8th of an inch. this will allow the headset to tighten later. cut the steer and install the star nut into the fork. then slide the stem back on and the top cap. there is more and if you have not done it or are really confused at this time you might want to take it to a LBS to be installed. just dont cut the steer too short or you will be buying a new fork :mrgreen:

karfer67 said:
first make sure the fork you are ordering has a 1" steer. i asume it is a threadless fork so you will have to get a new headset for this setup. i believe those use a BMX size 1".
I assume you mean buy a new 1" threadless headset. Has anybody tried to drill out a threaded headset and make that work?

actually as long as the bearings from the new threadless headset work in the old cups you can save those. i have done many "hybrid" headsets. however yes you do need a new 1" threadless due to the way it all locks together. a threaded just won't cut it i have tried and it is so much easier just to get the right parts

I would just add it really helps to have a steerer tube cutting guide to keep that steerer tube cut square. Also the star nut can be tough to get straight without a driver tool to help pound it in. If you don't have them probably best to go to your lbs.

yes that is a good note i have seen some that were really ugly cut at huge angles. anyways i have used pipe cutters to cut the steer with good results. it does make installing the star nut harder because it rolls a flair on the inside but it is no big deal. and yes if you do decide to install your own star nut go slow and make sure it goes in straight. there is a tool for doing it and like socal said when in doubt take it to a shop

thanks for all the advice..my buddy whos a bike mechanic said he would do it for me! so I'm real happy about that!

yeah, I just gave mine to karfer to install at the shop he works at. Wasn't too much $ and it was well spent.

sorry to be bringing this up.I would assume that if i was going to go with the triple tree fork with motorcycle clip-on handle bar, I need to cut the steering tube to be flush with the top triple tree and just drop the parts without a stem? also do anyone know the typical size of the triple tree fork tube in mm?

thanks guys. I want to do research first before i buy the parts. its probably going to be hard to find a set of motorcycle clip-ons to fit on those fork tube, without buying new ones.

if you want clip ons use a kruzer king fork. the leg diameter happens to be almost exactly 31.8 mm. which is the same size as a lot of modern handle bars. road bikes with aero bars use these and are clip ons. just cut off the part u dont need and wallll ahhh

Back