How to create a patina?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Is there a way to "fake" a patina like this?

a-rat-rod-surf-pickup-truck_1.jpg

1932-chevy-rat-rod-truck.jpg

This bike is a mixture of "rust vein" powder coat (frame, forks, rims, chain guard), natural rust (bars, stem, crank and sprocket) and forced rust (seat post and clamp). I did the forced rust by soaking the parts in a 50/50 solution of muratic acid and water over night then rinse them off and spray with salt water. 48 hours and you have a nice rust patina. More pics here.
390577_10150532500410278_118735470277_11370726_325275653_n.jpg

I use a 2 paint kit I got from arts and crafts store
IMG_1685xx.jpg

IMG_1686xx.jpg

IMG_1681xx.jpg

The first is an iron based dark grey. Let it dry for a day then apply the solution and it turns to a nice rust. TRY this
http://gomakesomething.com/ht/age/rust-guide/ Iv'e used both methods

Hydrogen Peroxide, Salt, White Vinegar....play with the amounts..

I toyed with the Idea of doing a rusty frame look on my build off bike, nexed the idea for the B.O.B. but plan on doing it on another build. what I did was laid a base coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer then took some cheap rattle can black and held it a ways back and just misted the frame. (used the cheap stuff since it tends to spit a sputter and go on uneven)

Patina like this is relatively straight forward. Couple coats of grey primer, couple coats of red oxide primer, light olive spray paint, darker olive spray paint. Let dry. Sand. Voila.

p4pb7846501.jpg

One of the techniques I used with my Social Deviation build to created a flaked off paint look was to build up a couple layers of paint. After they are dried I used a paint brush to dab on paint stripper.
Kept it light so had an effect similar to sponge painting. I let this sit over night and dry. Then I used a putty knife to flake off the paint that had bubbled up from the stripper.
Were bare metal ended up showing I did the vinegar trick to create rust eating through the paint.
Hope these ideas help.

g-ratter said:
One of the techniques I used with my Social Deviation build to created a flaked off paint look was to build up a couple layers of paint. After they are dried I used a paint brush to dab on paint stripper.
Kept it light so had an effect similar to sponge painting. I let this sit over night and dry. Then I used a putty knife to flake off the paint that had bubbled up from the stripper.
Were bare metal ended up showing I did the vinegar trick to create rust eating through the paint.
Hope these ideas help.

And that is a RAD!!! bike. viewtopic.php?t=33260

Ive been told that burying iron or steel parts in the 'garden' over the summer will come out looking like an artifact.
I prefer to age my stuff by using it, it goes faster with 'indifferent' washing, waxing or polishing.

The way I did it was pick the colors I wanted like I did a brown just brushed it on the orange the did a spray coat of white and just wet sanded down through to the bottom colors as I thought it would look like if it sat out for yrs and yrs. worked good.

The way I did it was pick the colors I wanted like I did a brown just brushed it on the orange the did a spray coat of white and just wet sanded down through to the bottom colors as I thought it would look like if it sat out for yrs and yrs. worked good.

heres a bad picture of my faked pantina. i did a little paint for the front scallops, sanded them down a bit, then wiped the bike down with hydrogen peroxide and vinegar mix.
DSC00847.jpg

I primer then color atop that. The fenders started with a black base coat then the primer. Sanded on the whole bike to flatten finish. I then sanded more in various places to expose the primer, black and even bare metal. Some places I applied more primer to the top and sanded to blend in.
On some of the braces, struts etc... I mixed primer and textured paint then dabbed it on with a foam brush.

P1020049.JPG

P1030764.JPG

Back