How to chrome from your kitchen for real cheap.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's something I learned from building models. You can "chrome" just about anything yourself for next to nothing. Ok it's not really chrome it's aluminium foil. You can buy stuff already made like Bare Metal foil with adhesive already put on. But for $10 you don't even get enough to wrap a Mars bar in it. For half the price you can buy metal foil adhesive at your local hobby shop and use common kitchen foil. You just apply the glue on the dull side of the foil, let the glue dry and apply the foil to any hard surface. Just make sure that the surface is clean and smooth. Any defect in the surface will come thru big time. If you take your time and rub the foil into shape with something a little hard like a shaft from a Q-Tip, it will conform to just about any shape. Ok it ain't as hard as real chrome, but it still looks pretty good. Remember that it is actual aluminium and it will oxidize with time. Just gently buff it with some Mother's.

Now go and "chrome" something!

Chrome1eng.jpg

Chrome5.jpg

iRide Custom Bicycles said:
That is very interesting. I would love to see an entire frame wrapped in foil...anybody going to take on this task????

Dan

The next bike I build will consist of moving the front
tire to the back...and the back to the front and I'm done! :lol:

That stuff works good on Cars Highridah.
I have seen a few guys with cool old caddies that can't
afford the Flippin high prices the Chromers charge...

Quick fix for a car too..and if you do it right..
....and you do it from "corner to corner"
or find a good break off point most people would
NEVER know it wasn't chrome,

Kev.

Clothespin "n" said:
That stuff works good on Cars Highridah.
I have seen a few guys with cool old caddies that can't
afford the Flippin high prices the Chromers charge...

Quick fix for a car too..and if you do it right..
....and you do it from "corner to corner"
or find a good break off point most people would
NEVER know it wasn't chrome,

Kev.

my dad paid 2200 to have his 55 meteors front bumper chromed

The 2" aluminum tape is used on metal ducting in the Heating & A/C business, so you should be able to find it at Lowes, Home Depot, etc., of try a HVAC supply house.

very usefull info! :thumbsup: but i can add something to that i allready have done for a short cheap solution. and not with glue and tin foil but almost the same, buy a roll of the thinnest aluminium tape (its very thin, and fragile - so watch out) make you're surface clean en straight, paint it high gloss black. and than comes the magic : put the aluminium tape on, and you getting real chrome effect. you can also paint chrome, but the mistake some do is not first painting it high gloss black! then you're chrome paint is really chrome! top tip : buy not the cheapiest chrome paint, it will go off after a while. even motip go's off!!! but i have used in the past some chrome paint, it was in a kit with the black paint included, and done it was very nice chrome effect!
:dance2:

Back