How to build a shifter (Finished Pictures)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool,
I've been wanting to do this to my straight 8 w/ an 8-ball shifter, Now I've got the step by step

If you get your parts together , lay them out , you can probably come up with an easier way to do this. I did find a cool pvc cap that would have slid right over my grip shifter. I could have glued it onto the shifter and run a couple small bolts through from the back and bolted the shift arm on and been alot simpler. Painted you wouldn't know it wasn't metal.

Lonewolf said:
Uncle Stretch. I think it's awesome.

Thanks Lonewolf ...It kinda shows how I did it. Gives everybody some ideas to work off of and simplify doing one.

stocksucks said:
I just love these kind off rat rod goodies tutorials. DIY rules!
Thanks a lot.
I'll keep that in mind for my next build.

Its fun for us to document how we build things. There are a lot of good ideas floating around. I used all I could find :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Your hard to please. If I had done all the drilling , springs, and ball bearings ...then stuck that in a shimano shifter that I don't have ...you would say ....You did all that why didn't you build the housing too. :lol: I used what I have at hand , but glad you like it anyway.

I meant no harm! :? I meant you would still use the shifter you made. On the old Shimano 3-spd shifters they simply used a 3/16" bearing held in with a tiny spring plate. When you shift, it forces the spring plate up allowing the bearing to roll to the next indexing position (or hole). I didn't mean you should you an old Shimano shifter, just the ideas they used!

I just know how often those shifters break because of the plastic. That's the only reason I offered my opinion.

No biggie ...unless you use the term Old or Fat in your comments, I have no problems. Everybody here can post the way they think it should be done, and its what gives us all ideas. If I just depended on my knowledge , this wouldn't have been built. This shifter idea wasn't mine and Notalentclown used the 90 degree brake tube. I just stuck them together in a how to form. :lol:

Here is a Nexus 3 speed with the PVC cap . It could be used to build a shifter. Use JB Weld to stick it on the twist grip shifter. Maybe drill two small holes in it and run some small bolts through from the back to hold the shifter on. Might be a pretty easy build.
DSCF0001-8.jpg

DSCF0002-7.jpg

Ive been looking for this thread. Thanks alot uncle stretch love the look. I know alot of people have pulled this shifter off, how is the durability with the plastic parts ? Anyone have any idea how I could mount the piece of handlebar on the frame without welding or drilling ? I'm looking to mount the piece on the frame under the seat post like stretch did.

camps23 said:
Ive been looking for this thread. Thanks alot uncle stretch love the look. I know alot of people have pulled this shifter off, how is the durability with the plastic parts ? Anyone have any idea how I could mount the piece of handlebar on the frame without welding or drilling ? I'm looking to mount the piece on the frame under the seat post like stretch did.
Hooch mounted one on the seatpost on one of his builds. I did the same on the front of a seven seat post I built. Won't have an arm , but its out of the way and works good.

builddone004.jpg

Like the idea stretch but I'm looking to mount it to the frame. Have you ever mount the piece of handlebar that holds the shifter on the frame without drilling or welding. I have an Electra straight 8 and it aluminum I don't want to drill the frame or weld.

If it were me I would find something that fit the size bar I was going to us it on and weld the short piece of handlebar to that. Then just clamp it on where you want it. The only click shifter I have seen that Nexus makes for a 3 speed is one that has two shifters. One up and one down. You missed two shifters in the for sale section that would have worked. Those ones for a 333 Shimano have the same throw as the ones for a nexus 3 speed I have been told , since the 333 was the first design of the Nexus.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34899

@ Camps23 i weld my piece of tube to the frame but what i have seen that some guys have done is they cut a notch on each side of the tube that will be next to the frame then they used a hose clamp just a thought

Back