How to Break a Skip Tooth Chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys break a skip-tooth chain? It doesn't fit my park chain break tool.

This is the first skip-tooth I've ever owned.

I found the master link.

If you are shortening the length you will need a screw type chain breaker made for motorcycles or bicycle without the locating teeth.

Thank you, that makes sense. One more question, does this chain take a special master link?

Thanks, borrowed a break tool from a co-worker who plays with go-karts. Popped the pin.

Appreciate the advice!

Thought I'd bump this since I had the question.

My chain tool has locating teeth, but the skip tooth chain fits in the back part. Its a little hard to turn tho.

So should I keep trying until the chain comes apart or the tool breaks, or should I just take the chain to a shop?

Thought I'd bump this since I had the question.

My chain tool has locating teeth, but the skip tooth chain fits in the back part. Its a little hard to turn tho.

So should I keep trying until the chain comes apart or the tool breaks, or should I just take the chain to a shop?
I had the same problem. It kinda bent the linkage a little and one of the rollers became misaligned and had difficulty purtting a connector link in

I broke one of the teeth on mine using it on a skip. You can do it by hand with a small punch. I should have some chain links if you need them. I lengthened my chain on Little Neutrino that way.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

I broke one of the teeth on mine using it on a skip. You can do it by hand with a small punch. I should have some chain links if you need them. I lengthened my chain on Little Neutrino that way.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...
How did you hold the chain to drive out the pin?

I'm not opposed to using my chain tool, if it breaks I can get another. I just don't want to mess up the chain.

How did you hold the chain to drive out the pin?

I'm not opposed to using my chain tool, if it breaks I can get another. I just don't want to mess up the chain.

A small socket works or bushing any thing that will brace the chain while you drive the pin out with a drift or punch. Be careful not to knock it out of the link completely or it will be harder to push the pin back in.

I must confess, I've never given this much thought until you brought up the subject. Vintage chain breakers often don't seem to have the locating fence that modern ones do. Maybe it's reasonable to grind away HALF of the fence and use the remaining portion in the link where the tooth goes? A modified, dedicated chain breaking tool would be a judicious investment, if that were to work. I only have one skip-tooth chain, also, and I certainly don't want to risk damaging it.

When I was growing up we never had a chain breaker. just a block of steel with a hole drilled on it and a punch. Never had any problems. My dad did want to buy any specialty tools. This is case where it worked. Spoke tool, not so much.

I actually ended up using one of those, but didn't have to break it. The chain fit.

Back