How screwed am I?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was disassembling an old bicycle and the expansion bolt sheered off inside the stem. About this much of the expansion bolt came out:
IMAG0614.jpg

The stem is solidly stuck in place. Any tips on how to disassemble this headset or at the very least remove the stem?

Thanks!

Patience and PB blaster works for me. you may try some heat as well but go easy.

once you have the stem out you might be able to bang the wedge nut out from the fork end with a long steel punch or something

squirt some pb blaster or wd40 down the bolt hole, then take a long rod and attempt to drive the wedge down to loosen the stem.

once you think you have the wedge driven down, chuck up the stem in a sturdy vise and use leverage to help break things loose.

if all else fails, cut the stem so you can get it all apart.

What's pb blaster?

Vintagebikelover24 said:
So it's like wd-40?

That's like saying is Danny Devito like Arnold Schwarzeneger.
Devito is just a puny girly man.

kingfish254 said:
Vintagebikelover24 said:
So it's like wd-40?

That's like saying is Danny Devito like Arnold Schwarzeneger.
Devito is just a puny girly man.

Ahaha great analogy! Okay pb is a much much much stronger wd-40....where do I buy this stuff

mitchelangelo said:
Most auto parts stores carry it. I've even found it at Lowe's.

Thank you. Ill be looking at advanced autoparts soon then!

Back to the stuck stem, I had one stuck yesterday and this worked for me:

Spray penetrant down into the hole, or anywhere else you think might help free things up.

Put the handlebars back on, if they aren't already.

Next I went over to a 2x6 that I have holding up a large shelf with a lot of weight on it. I put the forks on either side of the 2x6, then gently started turning the handlebars to the left, then to the right, being careful not to bend the forks, until things started to move. Eventually I was able to twist the bars all the way around, and shortly after that the stem started to come out.

Toeslider said:
Back to the stuck stem, I had one stuck yesterday and this worked for me:

Spray penetrant down into the hole, or anywhere else you think might help free things up.

Put the handlebars back on, if they aren't already.

Next I went over to a 2x6 that I have holding up a large shelf with a lot of weight on it. I put the forks on either side of the 2x6, then gently started turning the handlebars to the left, then to the right, being careful not to bend the forks, until things started to move. Eventually I was able to twist the bars all the way around, and shortly after that the stem started to come out.

My usual approach. except I use the studs in my uninsulated garage. I have killed a few forks this way though. :lol:

wheres bristol? even walmart carries pb blaster on the west side of the state. anyway, my buddies and i swear by the stuff.

X-RAY said:
wheres bristol? even walmart carries pb blaster on the west side of the state. anyway, my buddies and i swear by the stuff.

Bristol's a 30 minute drive to center city Philly and right next to Levittown. We have 2 walmarts within 5 minutes of us. I'll check it out.

Back