How does one replace the old rivots

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i been searhing and trying to find out how ones fines construct or buy those smoothed rivots from the fenders holding the braces and or chainguard...I love to hear ideas on this

check "hollow rivets" or "tubular rivets". I've been searching for an economical tool to install them, very limited choices out there for a tool with enough depth to reach around a fender.

there are special nuts/bolts you can buy too but the heads are typically larger than original fender rivets...

I always thought you used a ball peen hammer, peen end towards the bottom of the rivet. Strike that hammer with another hammer while supporting the object upside down with a piece of wood under the rivet head.
The hollow rivets I could almost/or install without removing them from a bike using a rivet gun.

FlordiaRust said:
i been searhing and trying to find out how ones fines construct or buy those smoothed rivots from the fenders holding the braces and or chainguard...I love to hear ideas on this
Search "fender brace rivet screws" on eBay. I've used them and they work great.

I like the threaded "rivets" too. You can get them in stainless and they will stay nice forever. Gary

Riveting properly takes some attention to detail and technique. The holes for the rivet need to closely fit the rivet dia. and the two (or more) pieces to be joined must be snug together with the head well supported. The length protruding cant be overly long and you may be better off with a washer to help distribute the load after peening.
Ya also gotta take care not to miss the rivet and bash the tin........dont ask.....

Back