How does a Rocket sprocket work?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaz

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!BS5Iy+QB2k~$(KGrHgoH-CwEjlLl)G!HBKFe13w)KQ~~_1.JPG

!BS5I2zQBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CUEjlLl1UPiBKFe2PiCbw~~_1.JPG

Does someone here use that sprocket?

Not the first time I see one but I don't understand how it works.

I don't know, but it looks cool. Now I want one. Now I have to bid on that one :lol:

The auction says :"On the box it reads: POWER and SPEED Overdrive, Ride With Safety, Double Power Braking, Precision Engineered for "Pedal Magic" and American Made for American Made Bicycles."

...., now I'm gonna have to snipe that sucker.

Rocket Sprocket is Phony Balony. Looks like it just lets the drive peg on the crank flop between the 2 holes where the mechanism is. This would only make braking very sloppy, guess it's one of those "If we make it shiny and flashy and stuff" people will buy it.
It does LOOK cool however.

These have been around a long time both skippy and 1/2" versions, and even BMX bikes had a similar version, acts sort of on teh same principle as Shimano Biopace rings. Lengthens out the chainring on the pedal stroke unfortunately only on one side for these.

This is the real deal, it's about a grand. A springplate cannot do what this does.
2282_20080574206.jpg

learn something new everyday. if i found this i prolly would have thrown it out. lol does it really help for the price??

800px-Biopacemtb.jpg

Took me a while, but I think I reasoned it out.

On the biopace/ elliptical chain rings, they should be set up so that when you're in the middle of a power stroke, the long side of the ring is pulling the chain. So it's like it's in High gear at that part of the stroke. Then 90 degrees from there, where you don't get much leverage, it's like you're in a lower gear, which lets you flip through that part of the stroke quicker.

If you turned it 90 degrees, you'd have maximum leverage (low gear) at the mid part of your stroke. That would let you get up hills better, sort of. You'd still have to fool with the rest or the stroke, which would be off.

Anyway, it looks like this is in fact just an elliptical chainring. What is different is that flipping that switch lets it rotate 90 degrees, from one position to the other. That gives you a "high" gear and a sort of a "low" gear.

I assume if it worked well, we'd all use them. I suspect though, that the two positions don't really feel all that much different.

Something else not obvious is that the peg on the crank arm keeps the chain ring from rotating, but the lock nut should be pretty tight on the chain ring, anyway. So this has to be put in loose or something so it can switch, which is liable to introduce some funky rattles and odd feelings as you ride.

Thanks StephenH! But:
JoKeR63 said:
Rocket Sprocket is Phony Balony. Looks like it just lets the drive peg on the crank flop between the 2 holes where the mechanism is. This would only make braking very sloppy, guess it's one of those "If we make it shiny and flashy and stuff" people will buy it.
It does LOOK cool however.
Thanks again Pal!

Danimal said:
Well, that thing sold for a $150...too much for my blood. Did someone here buy it?

See? It does exactly what was made to do.... expand the seller's wallet! :wink:

never really liked anything biopacey. looks really cool and i never knew they had something like that from back in the day. one day i bent my cranks in the bb shell and that kinda gave the same effect.

Back