HOW DO YOU TELL WHICH PEDEL IS LEFT AND WHICH IS RIGHT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOWDY I PUT A PEDEL ON A BIKE AND LEAREND FROM THE BIKE SHOP THAT I PUT IT ON THE WRONG SIDE HOW DO YOU TELL WHICH PEDEL IS LEFT AND WHICH IS RIGHT

Look on the bolt that goes into the crank. It may have either an L or an R stamped on it. If not, the one on the left will be reverse threaded, meaning that it gets screwed in counterclockwise, instead of the usual "lefty loosey righty tighty."

I LEARNED THAT LAST SUMMER ON MY TRICYCLE THE BIKE IM TALKING ABOUT IS THE ONE KOTA IS SELLING ME HE,S SHIPPING THE BIKE BY REMOVING SOME OF THE PARTS TO FIT IN THE BOX HERES THE BIKE
WINTER001.jpg

Always loosen the pedals by pulling the wrench towards the back of the bike and tighten by pushing the wrench towards the front.

Works on both sides...that's how I always remember.

Don't worry everything will be "TAGGED", and instructions on how to re-assemble will be included. It should only take about 10 minutes, to put the front wheel and fender, seat and handle bars, back on. If you have any trouble you can contact me. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
Always loosen the pedals by pulling the wrench towards the back of the bike and tighten by pushing the wrench towards the front.

genius. so simple, never thought of it that way.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
Rat Rod said:

genius. so simple, never thought of it that way.

It was the same on my '69 Dart and my Dad's '68 Charger for the lug nuts. reverse thread lugs on passenger side. :roll: silly Mopar. Loved those cars though. 8)

KOTA said:
Don't worry everything will be "TAGGED", and instructions on how to re-assemble will be included. It should only take about 10 minutes, to put the front wheel and fender, seat and handle bars, back on. If you have any trouble you can contact me. :wink:
\\\\
thanks kota

Rat Rod said:

That is how I remember too.

What's funny is that I never really took the time to figure it out.

I'd always start off turning the wrong way and never remember which way was which.

One day I started paying attention and realized they they both loosened when turned towards the back of the bike.

It was my pedal epiphany...ha ha! :lol:

when i take them off, i stick a piece of tape on the right side pedal so i know which is which going back on, dont know why, but it takes the guess work out, most are stamped L and R on the threaded axle end, but not always.

Is that the right side standing in front of the bike looking at it or is that the right side standing behind the bike looking at it? This would be the only issue i would have with the tape thing.

"Is that the right side standing in front of the bike looking at it or is that the right side standing behind the bike looking at it? This would be the only issue i would have with the tape thing."

The right side has the chainguard, of course! :wink: That's how I remember it... or think of it from the perspective of you sitting on the bike?... or, following the tape idea, if you put a piece of extra material, like tape, on the right pedal, it seems logical that it would go to the side of the bicycle with the extra component(s)- the chainguard side, right? Wow, Luckily most pedals are marked R and L! :lol:

Rat Rod said:
What's funny is that I never really took the time to figure it out.

I'd always start off turning the wrong way and never remember which way was which.

One day I started paying attention and realized they they both loosened when turned towards the back of the bike.

It was my pedal epiphany...ha ha! :lol:
It's like your shoes. When you put on a pair of shoes, you're going somewhere. You're moving forward. To put on a pair of bike pedals and go somewhere, you wrench forward.

When you take off your shoes, you kick back and relax. When you wrench backwards, you remove the pedals, just like removing the shoes.

Back