HOW DO YOU PAINT A OLD METEL TANK?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
howdy i have been thinking about painting the tank on my new bike im getting flat white and adding flame decals what should do to paint it

It's really not all that hard to paint a tank, and it can be easier or harder depending on condition and your aims. If it's really rusty, I say use 60 grit sandpaper, get it down to bare steel, sand it again with something a little finer, and paint it. If the paint isn't too bad, just sand it consistently and lighlty with a finer paper, then prime and paint. I've painted half a dozen frames/ complete bikes in the past and haven't done too bad, and have no previous experience.

Like he said. Rough up the paint, if it's in ok shape, prime, and paint. It never hurts to make a quick rubdown with some sort of wax and grease remover if you're painting the frame after all your sanding is done. If you have heavy rust, take it down to the metal. Sand, prime, paint. Look at the how-to's that cman posted. LOTS of good info there. Lots.

If you sand down to bare metal, you will want to use a self etching primer. This sticks to the bare metal a lot better. I use duplicolor self etching primer and it is excellent. It costs about $7 a can, but is so worth it.

thanks i bought a generic chrome knock off scwhinn phantom tank im going to spray paint it black primer instead of painting the oringinel tank

Back