How do you fix a noisy coaster brake?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a single speed coaster brake wheel and hub that's never been used. It's got an ample supply of lubricant in the hub. But under hard braking conditions the thing squeals, making a very loud humming sound. It will slow and stop the bike, I don't think it's overly dangerous, but this bike was going to be a gift and I'm certain the recpient would be embarrassed by the loud noise it makes when braking.

My hub did have an additional freewheel problem which was fixed when I broke it down and reassembled it, but the humming noise when braking is still the same. A new member CB4 has two new single speed coaster hubs doing the same thing, which makes me think it might be a design flaw, but is there anything I can do to correct the problem before writing it off as unfixable?

The earlier discussion is here:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8286&p=85589#p85589
Thanks guys!

Some of the new Asian made hubs are just noisy and there isn't much you can do. When I had trouble with Suntour coaster brake hubs, I opened them up and gave them a squirt or two of straight 50W motor oil and that quieted things down a bit.

Latest posts

Back