How do you determine the size of a frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This may be a dumb question but I have found a bare frame for sale locally and the seller doesn't know anything about it. Is there a way to determine the size of the frame if its made for 24 or 26 inch wheels? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Poorman

This may be a dumb question but I have found a bare frame for sale locally and the seller doesn't know anything about it. Is there a way to determine the size of the frame if its made for 24 or 26 inch wheels? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Poorman
The size of the frame is the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube. That confuses a lot of people who think it is the tire size. A 20" frame is just the right size for me at 5'10", but it could have between 20" - 36" tires.
To judge if a frame is made for 24 or 26" tires, you could measure from the dropout where the axle bolts up to the beginning of the fork or chain stay, leaving some room for clearance and fenders. There's usually at least an inch and a half of clearance. For a 26" bike, it would be the radius, 13" and a 24", only one inch difference, 12". It's best to have a 26" wheel to place in the frame to be sure.

Also, there is more than one size 26 - 26 x 2.125 balloon, 26 x 1.75 middle weight, (both of those 559mm rims); and 26 x 1-3/8 lightweight (590mm rim).
These tires have different widths, and the frame may be measured where the tire would be closest to the chain-stays, and also the seat-stays.

That confuses a lot of people who think it is the tire size.
Some makes and models might not be/have been offered in more than one size.

Last edited:
When I look at ads online for a bike, I look at the headtube length as an indicator of which frame it was. I suspect you're still talking about that red Colson looptail?

20:
images

24:

images

26:
images

That'll give you a sense of relative proportions...

Thanks Bicycle808 the frame in the other thread is a frame for a 24" wheel but I installed 26" wheels to move around the shop. I found another frame though that the seller didn't know what size it was. Thanks again.

Poorman

Yeah, if it's a frame you know the make/model of, just sort thru some google-imags results and get a sense of the proportions.

You could ask them to read the tire, I have never seen one without the size on it.

Back