How do I remove sprocket from coaster hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with a screw on retainer ring here. Not a clip on.

I'm attempting to replace the sprocket on a mussleman hub. I'm trying to figure out what tools / techniques I need to employ to remove the screw on retainer ring so that I can unscrew the sprocket. Never done this before. Any advice / help would be appreciated.

IMG_1592.jpg

There's probably a right hand thread lock ring on the other side and the cog itself is also threaded, but left handed. The 1" pitch cogs I've seen myself were all that way, but I don't think I've ever had my hands on a Mussleman.

deorman, I think the lock ring is LH thread and the cog is RH. That's how it is on New Departure anyway.

Try removing the lock ring then reassemble the hub and mount it on the bike. Apply the brakes hard and it will pop if it's not rusted. Gary

B607 said:
deorman, I think the lock ring is LH thread and the cog is RH. That's how it is on New Departure anyway.

Try removing the lock ring then reassemble the hub and mount it on the bike. Apply the brakes hard and it will pop if it's not rusted. Gary

That seems like a very good idea for removing the sprocket. How do I remove the lock ring? And, yes the lock ring is LH thread and the cog is RH. I have an NOS driver I'm going to use once I get the lock ring and cog off of the old one. Actually it is the driver I need to replace. The cone / race on it is messed up.

And thanks to all y'all for the advice.

cman said:
Lucky Strike said:
How do I remove the lock ring?
And thanks to all y'all for the advice.

Is there a square indent on the edge of the lock ring or a series of them evenly spaced? A lock ring tool called a hook spanner would work best then. http://www.rei.com/product/710554/park- ... ench-hcw-5

Or sometimes these also work.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... p?id=40354

It has one square indent. I took it to my LBS and they got the ring off, but could not get the cog to budge. I took it home and applied a torch and plastic faced hammer to it and got it off. Needless to say the old hub driver is not trashed beyond belief, but it already kid of was...

Latest posts

Back