How do I fix this?? (Console shifter)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
When taking off the decals of one shifter, the decals peeled the chrome. So on the next console I asked a friend who told me to soak it in Goo-B-Gone. I took that too literally and soaked it overnight. That not only soaked the decals off, it broke down whatever adhesive was holding the "arc" together. I went ahead with assembly because of the build off, hoping it would hold it, but it hasn't. It's starting to get pushed in from use. So...

How can I reshape then reinforce the underside of the console so that it can hold up to use?

OXBJoz.jpg

9Xiyal.jpg

Glue a rounded piece of plastic under the curved part...maybe part of a milk bottle? Soda bottle?

I would try J-B Plastic Weld. They make different kinds for different plastics so make sure you get the right one.

Is there a Tap Plastics near you? They have everything for doing a fiberglass repair and would have someone there who could show you how. It's not at all difficult and is incredibly strong. Be careful going into Tap. They have all this trick stuff for casting things like shift knobs. Might lead you into more projects!

Fiberglass and resin will not stick to plastic, all the years I've used the stuff it never has. I use plastic to make the mold and then fiberglass, then pull the hardened glass from the plastic.
You will need a plastic to repair it and use a plastic weld, 2 part epoxy or super glue. I like Ultra Bond liquid super glue. Their gel glue sucks.

I Think those are abs, i'd try a solvent cement, just need to be careful it doesn't attach the chrome, or get it hazy.

Latest posts

Back