How Difficult is it to turn a Single Speed into a Multiple?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Pros & Vets...Rookie Uv Da year needs your help/advice. Is it difficult to turn a Single Speed into a Multiple Speed bike? Thinking of doing it to my Phat Cycle...Feel free to weigh in. thanks in advance!!!! :D

Pretty simple, just get a 3 speed or other IGH (internal gearded hub) and shifter.
Take a look at my Flex-Liner 7 build if you want to see a Nexus 7 speed hub at work.

Good luck!

as easy as buying a hub and lacing it into a rim you already have(or paying someone else to do it if you wont) or even simpler...buy a multi-speed rear wheel and bolt it onto your frame and hook up the shifter and go.
only thing you really have to worry about is axle size being the same but unless its a mid-new school bmx bike they should all have 3/8(10mm) axles(mid/new bmx will be 14mm).
nexus 3speeds are cheap,easy to work with,easily found, and are pretty darn close to bullet proof. hope that helps.

Cool...thanks Kingfish and Sensor....i checked out Kingfish's Flex Liner 7...nice job by the way...and i may try to lace...is it hard to do without breaking spokes? Also how do you adhere the gear shift cable to the frame? Thanks again guys...

Another method I have used is to widen the frame slightly by placing a scissor jack between the dropouts and crank it out a few inches. Then use a rear wheel, derailurs , and shifter from a cheap mountain bike.

Back