How can you tell if Schwinn S-2's are pre-war

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The early S-2's didn't have the knurling around the rims.

.... buuuuut I'm not sure how far back the S-2 rims went. The prewar Schwinns use a lot of regular drop-center rims.

There are no pre-war S-2's, jpromo is correct. Schwinn was using drop center wheels prior to 1948. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!!

46 and47 s2 were paited with s2 on the outside and tracks on the inside,chrome withs2 and tracks on outside,also 46 was only year for taperd kickstand

The center drops in from the outside.
SANY0652.jpg

Oops again 5 speed. 47 was the only year for a tapered kickstand. In 46 Schwinn was still using the bolt on types. In 47 they came out with the "integrated" type.As well as "fish hook" type drop-outs, different bearings, hubs, yada yada yada.47 marked the change over from pre-war to post war type bikes for Schwinn.Its all in print and many of us here have seen it. Later & PEACE!!!!!

Slick Rick said:
Oops again 5 speed. 47 was the only year for a tapered kickstand. In 46 Schwinn was still using the bolt on types. In 47 they came out with the "integrated" type.As well as "fish hook" type drop-outs, different bearings, hubs, yada yada yada.47 marked the change over from pre-war to post war type bikes for Schwinn.Its all in print and many of us here have seen it. Later & PEACE!!!!!

The war ended in May of '45. Schwinn stopped war production then and started production on the new bikes for the '46 model year in the fall of '45. All '46 Schwinns incorporated the new features, both on the frame and other parts as well. The tapered kickstand was a '46 only style and is clearly shown in the '46 catalog. Gary
Source: 1946 catalog "Post-War Schwinn Built Bicycles"

I think we are saying the same thing here Gary. If the production started in the fall of 46, these would be the 47 model bikes, correct? Besides I have a 47 model and it Definately came with a tapered kickstand. So saying it was a 46 only feature is definately incorrect.

Oh and it looks as though saying that it was a 47 only thing would appear to be an oops for me! :oops: Later & PEACE!!!!!

Production on bikes started again in the fall of '45, not '46. The new '46 model bikes were probably sold starting Christmas of '45. That's how Schwinn did it, just like the car companies coming out with the new model year in the fall. The tapered kickstand came out with the new models in '46. I'm not surprised that some of the '47 bikes still had them but they weren't making new ones, just using up old stock. Gary

ozzmonaut said:
The center drops in from the outside.
SANY0652.jpg

I call these rims "3 face rims" you see them in a lot of columbia bicycles.

By the way. What type of rims did a pre war cycle truck use?

Back