Hot Rod Spaceliner - by B4C

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be so quick to love it just yet! I still have to figure out how to mount the calipers without making them look like add-ons!

Ideas/suggestions are welcomed!!!
I would run these, but not sure if it is what you are wanting...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26-8mm-A...222418?hash=item3f6e679792:g:yG4AAOSw4GVYGbYg

They would probably need a different size/style clamp to fit that frame and fork, but it shouldn't be too hard to make something up.

I actually buy these and cut the clamp parts off and weld the remainder to frames and forks to mount calipers, if that is an option for you they come up looking pretty good!

Luke.

I would run these, but not sure if it is what you are wanting...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26-8mm-A...222418?hash=item3f6e679792:g:yG4AAOSw4GVYGbYg

They would probably need a different size/style clamp to fit that frame and fork, but it shouldn't be too hard to make something up.

I actually buy these and cut the clamp parts off and weld the remainder to frames and forks to mount calipers, if that is an option for you they come up looking pretty good!

Luke.

Thanks Luke!

I like the idea, but need to think it through. Do you have a pic of one of these welded to a frame and/or fork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If not sure on welding to frame, and not satisfied with the stay bracket, I'd think u could run any number of "rat" coaster arm solutions and make it very cool...
If welding is an option but unsure for frame, I'd look at using split collars for the right size to fit the stay and zap the arm to it.. if u used 2 evenly spaced it could keep a ray gun space age vibe.

If not sure on welding to frame, and not satisfied with the stay bracket, I'd think u could run any number of "rat" coaster arm solutions and make it very cool...
If welding is an option but unsure for frame, I'd look at using split collars for the right size to fit the stay and zap the arm to it.. if u used 2 evenly spaced it could keep a ray gun space age vibe.

Can you expand on your "rat coaster arm" idea? Are you saying use an old coaster arm to make a bracket for the caliper mount? Or are you suggesting that I use coaster brakes?

Sure, that bracket luke linked has one lower off the axel, the top is a band similar to a band to secure a coaster arm to a chain stay. If that band bracket is to ur issue with that as a solution, alot of different ways to secure it... Some use forks or spoons....it's a no weld solution with a bit of rat style... It will look like whole part was fabricated. Look at how coaster arms are secured it's the same band.

Last edited:
Thanks Luke!

I like the idea, but need to think it through. Do you have a pic of one of these welded to a frame and/or fork?

Yep, used them on my Mad Maxine build for MBBO#03

21000005small.jpg
21350010small.jpg

They come up nice and as you saw in the ad, only a dollar or two... Cheaper than cutting it out of steel, but you have to wait for them to arrive from China...

I usually keep 4 or so in stock for future builds.

Luke.

Grabbed a couple of those Ebay adapter brackets, but the loop for the frame was waaaay too big, so I'll be fabbing up proper loops or building new brackets. I like what metalchewy did on his "Sassy" MBBO#5.2 build!!!!

In the meantime, I also scored calipers and levers...another surprise up my sleeve!!! They'll be here tomorrow!

Last edited:
Lookin real good :thumbsup:

This is a great build. Those frames are so cool looking. I have used those brake mounts on other bikes before with good luck. Sometimes a little twisting turning and shimming is needed. But you can make it happen. You have made it this far. You know a rat trap springer would look cool. But eaither way you go with this. It is gona be a sweet ride for sure.

Back