Hot Rod Jag

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so it's not really ratty, but it's no creampuff restoration either.

My 1961 Schwinn Jaguar MK IV:

jag2vg0.jpg

jag1lo7.jpg

It's a 1961 Jaguar MK IV that was literally pulled from a barn, cleaned up and had some new shiny bits added.

The "before" pic:

barnfreshrg9.jpg

It rides very smooth, not because of brilliant design, but because the 'road hugging weight' crushes any bumps in the road completely flat :mrgreen:

Hope you guys like it

-Mp

* big thanks to Rat Rod (AKA Daddy-O) for this site *

That is awesome!! Let see more of your creations!!

Thanks for the compliment DD - here's a pic of the current work-in-progress

inprogress3nw9.jpg

You've seen it before, some of the small parts I'd bought from you are going on it :mrgreen:

-Mp

Love that Jag...the style is great and you just can't go wrong with black and chrome. Laughed at your comment about the weight...ha ha!

Your new project is looking nice too...can't wait to see the finished product!

P.S. Just cleaned out my mailbox over at the Schwinn site...looks like you tried to PM me a couple of times.

I like it!! BTW, still got those original white grips? I think I remember "Road hugging weight" from a Ford marketing campaign. It was when the imports, and other american makers were already making smaller cars which were better on gas. Ford kept on plugging along with the 5,000 pound road hogs they had made for decades, hehe.,,,,KR

Yessirree, I kept the grips and all the other original parts that came with the bike. Unfortunately, some of those parts are pretty rough.

"Road Hugging Weight" - A term I picked up from road test articles in some 50's car mags. Definitely an idea from the era of Bigger Is Better.

After doing a quick Google search, It appears that Ford really did use the term in ads for the Pinto :shock:

-Mp

thats a super ride I love hot it sets. It looks like it owns the road setting still.
I'm kinda partial to the customs I used to build cars but a few years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease so now my toys are alot smaller n cheaper but in my mind every bit as much fun!

Cool, I always keep that kind of stuff too. It's also nice to belong to a site that's not going to string you up cause you didn't use the right screws for the chainguard, hehe.,,,,KR

How could Ford use that on a Pinto though? They didn't weigh that much? I mean drop a 2.3 turbo in them and they run low tens? You can't do that with a heavy car?

"It's also nice to belong to a site that's not going to string you up cause you didn't use the right screws for the chainguard"

I agree.

I used to really be into the Mopar scene, but the resto purist/elitism killed off my enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for those who do the 100 point concours resto's, but to belittle and deride those of us who march to a different drummer? Sure gets old in a hurry.

As for the Pinto ads, my understanding is that the compact Ford was heavier than it's competitors, so Ford marketing was trying to spin this fact into something positive.

On the whole, Pintos are pretty light - I recall seeing one at the track that thanks to a V8 transplant, had a really hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground...

-Mp

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Originally I had planned to repaint the frame, but the more I worked on cleaning it up, the more I liked the original finish. It still has it's battle scars and it wears them well. No repaint for this one. (The black finish does hide the scars in photos)

Clean-up involved:
- removing all the parts off the frame
- de-greasing with WD-40
- wash with a car wash soap
- wax with Meguiars Carnauba Wax (being very careful around the decal)

All the small parts were cleaned and polished as needed prior to reassembly.

I plan on replacing the re-pop lowrider springer with a Schwinn springer soon.

-Mp

Back