Hopalong Cassidy - holder added to front fender?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LeftSide.jpg
LeftFront.jpg
Hello all,
I've had this 26" girl's Hoppy restored recently. It had holes drilled in each side of the tank and in the front and back fenders where holders had been attached. A previous owner had accessories in the holders, but they were not original to the bike (pretty sure). When the bike was restored, new holders were fabricated to recreate the ones that had been there before - I liked the idea of keeping that part of the history of the bike, imagining some kid showing off her cowgirl stuff.

My understanding from looking carefully at the old advertisements is that this 26" model did not come with the cap gun holster seen on the smaller versions that year. When I purchased the bike (in somewhat rough shape, but not too bad), it came with a set of heavy leather saddlebags that were probably held secure through the holder on the back fender. (For those interested, they are not original Hoppy ones, unfortunately, but nice ones with concho details, so I plan to fix up and use them.) It also came with a toy waist holster and two 50s cap guns (again, not Hoppies, but cute) buckled through the holder on the tank.

My question is, what is up with the holder on the front, in front of the light? What kind of accessory would have been attached there? I found a pic online of another Hopalong with a holder on front just like this, but there was nothing attached to it. Does anyone know? Is there another must-have accessory out there that I need to be looking for? :)

Thank you! I'm a newbie to this hobby, but learning more all the time. The bike was found on ebay and restored by Vintage Spokes. There are good before and after pics on the website.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Thank you! I'm a newbie to this hobby, but learning more all the time. The bike was found on ebay and restored by Vintage Spokes. There are good before and after pics on the website.
Post some of those pics here! Great looking bike.

Post some of those pics here! Great looking bike.
I just posted pics of my two bikes in an album and will add more soon! So glad I got the nerve to join the group and ask my question. Seeing everyone's work is giving me lots of ideas! I got Vintage Spokes to do these because I was afraid of getting in over my head, but I'm learning to weld (my dad's a welder) and am looking to start a project myself. I have a 5 and 7 year old, so I'm keeping an eye out for a cool kid's bike.

Cindy

Welcome to RRB and thanks for sharing your special bike.
The chrome piece on the rear fender has a profile that suggests a tail to my eye.
Perhaps the front trim piece is designed to just emulate a mane?
I haven't seen any pics on the 'net with additional add on elements such as faux hair or anything like that though. The ones I've googled are similarly equipped.
Giddy Up!

Last edited:
I stopped by the shop that worked on mine, and they had another frame, same model, just brought in, and it had the same holders. I had thought they weren't original, since they don't appear in any of the advertisements. Some have them, some don't, and maybe it was something about the girl's bike or that year (1952). Definitely a mystery.

I'm wondering if the folks at memory lane here in Ohio might know something about your bike.

Definitely, I go the swaps the hold. They're the only place I know personally that might answer your questions.

Latest posts

Back