HOOCH! Check it out!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VICTORY!!!

victorydl5.png

Oh Yeah!

(Hooch knows the story behind this)

-Mp

holy smokes you won!!!
thats the hardest stuck stem I have ever found
I gave up and shipped it north still stuck
I saw your picture on that other post and wondered if you had it out yet lol

I guessing patience worked better than force. I on the other hand got frustrated and did the same as Olds

0919072012a.jpg

I use Evapo-rust to remove as much as possible pour in bottom of fork or seat tube, let sit a few days upside down. Rinse out with lacquer thinner or acetone, then spray copious amounts of PB Blaster down it, usually loose within a few minutes.

Patience and TRI-FLO usually work fer me, however a large Pipe Wrench and a BFH (big darn hammer) ALWAYS do the trick, sad though when you absoluetly destroy one of the old classic forged stems.

Merc

You might try the PB Blaster alone, the stuff works. I usually use the evapo-rust to give it even more advantage if there's a big build up of rust at the end of the seatpost or stem, and haven't needed a hammer or pipe. I've tried WD-40, liquid wrench etc and they were completely ineffective in comparison. Another good thing, low silicone content in case you want to repaint, not as much hassle getting it off.

ive done the same (hacksaw through the neck, what a way to go !!!) i did however use about a 1/2 piece of what was left of the neck stem with a c-clamp to pull schwinn kickstands out with. beats buyin a $30 tool.

Boardtrack fan said:
Thanks again, I'm off to the store for some PB and evapo-rust. Does tri-flo work better than WD40? We used it in the bike shop but, not for loosening parts. I guess I might as well pick some up.

I've only seen tri-flo's lubricant products. If they make a penetrant, they don't market it well... PB Blaster is my lord and savior, plus it smells like bug spray. What more could you want?

This was the cause of all the grief:

brokenwedgedb8.png

The bolt had sheared off, leaving the wedge still wedged. The stem wasn't going anywhere like that. A good long soak with penetrating oil and then hammering the stem straight upwards did the trick. Because the wedge was still in place, twisting the stem was an exercise in futility.

Once the stem was out, it was just a matter of running a long punch in from the bottom and driving the remaining chunk up and out.

Despite what it looks like in the first picture, no shotguns were used in this procedure. I gave up that method years ago.

-Mp

One way to lessen the chance of having to do all that in the future is to put a dab of grease on the threads of the bolt and the lug before installing the stem in the fork. The grease also lessens the likelyhood that the stem bolt will stick and break when tightening it. Thanks!!!

Back