BO15 HOMEMADE SHINE has a totally different look!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this Elgin this weekend. Kind of an Elgin-Monark hybrid. Bought from the original owner's son. Original owner was born in 1929 and just passed away. It has sat untouched in the dry basement of the family farm house since the end of WWII. That's right! Untouched for 75 years! I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time! Now the big question is: What do I do with it???
Elgin Monark hybrid 1.jpg
Elgin Monark hybrid 2.jpg
Elgin Monark hybrid tank.jpg
Elgin Monark hybrid unusual chainguard.jpg

Last edited:
...you mean, "sitting ON this one", right Tim? :21:

Bike looks awesome set up that way!

...you mean, "sitting ON this one", right Tim? :21:

Bike looks awesome set up that way!
OH SHEET! Just figured out what you meant (and my faux pas). Blame it on the pain pills. Nursing a ruptured disc and a pinched sciatica nerve until they can cut me up and fix it. Stay tuned.......I'm liable to say anything right now! Still didn't stop me from driving 3 hours to Pittsburgh for the Bicycle Heaven Swap Meet Saturday (even with a useless left leg). Used my '41 Huffman (Made in the Shade) as a walker. Great show! Had a blast!
DSCN0773.JPG

Great score. It's not very common to see the higgins header graphics on one of the the Westfield/Columbia frames. Very cool.

Found so many treasures at the amazing Bicycle Heaven Swap Meet in Pittsburgh last weekend. First time ever attending to this show. Had a great time! Found this (original paint) tank for my '53 CWC/AMF Western Flyer. Paid a whole dollar for it! No kidding! It was in the dollar box! Just one step closer to finishing one of my favorite bikes! So art deco and she rides like a dream!
DSCN1211.JPG
DSCN1212.JPG
DSCN1213.JPG

Lol she already had that "Reallybigtim" style straight outta the box, huh?
It's so unfortunate that the "girl's bikes" aren't considered "cool". Many times they are much more stylish than their "boy's bike" counterparts. If they would just use the term "step-through frame" instead of "girl's bike", I feel that they wouldn't be so unpopular in the hobby. And you are correct, Matti............it didn't take much to make this one beautiful. Fat Franks, apes, and all the original white parts I could find. And it is such a versatile bike. Here it is in red, white, and blue mode:
DSCN0763.JPG

I do really love my blue and white Western Flyer art deco step-through-frame bike. But I am even more excited about this one. Just picked this up and I still can't believe that it actually exists! It is an early 30's NOS (pre-headbadge) Elgin curved seat tube frame in a beautiful art deco-style beige and maroon 2-tone paint. This one is special!
Elgin girls frame 1.jpg
Elgin girls frame 4.jpg
Elgin girls frame 5.jpg

Last edited:
HolycrapTim that Elgin is gorgeous! Are those the original cups in there too?
If you're concerned about gender issues, would one of those TRM Conversions make you more comfortable? I wouldn't... I've found myself looking at step through frames when the wife isn't looking...

This one is coming together quickly and very inexpensively! I bought the all-original frame (on ebay) last week for $40! I was the only bidder. I still can't believe it! It's mint except for some minor shelf scratches. I found the correct 30's Elgin forks with all the hardware and the truss rods for $5, and the correct Murray chainring, dog-leg cranks, pedals , and skip-tooth chain for another $5 at the Pittsburgh swap meet. Lots of unbelievably cheap treasures at that show! I have a minty Troxel small tan (girl's) seat and "7" seat post from a $5 donor '34 Colson. I am using nice original paint maroon prewar wheels. Just bought a clean prewar Elgin girl's donor bike (with a twisted frame) with almost everything else I need (fenders, chainguard, skirt guards, etc). I already have a Torrington art deco stem and reproduction zeppelin grips. Of course, I will use some funky kind of tires and handlebars like I do on all of my builds. I will have to do some match-painting (and mild faux-patina) on the forks, fenders, chainguard, and skirt guards. I should have a partial mock-up in a few days and a full pre-paint mock-up in a week or two. Should I enter this one in the Class II Build-off? Call it the "Stylish Step-Through".

Last edited:
Here is the picture I found on the CABE that made me want to build a prewar Elgin (girl's) bike. Unfortunately, I was unable to purchase this bike, so I thought that I would attempt to build my own version. Surprisingly, I have already (in less than 2 weeks) acquired most everything I will need to finish my build (except a tank). And I am not even sure if my early bike would have had a tank or not. Maybe I can do some kind of custom tank?
Elgin girls aqua.jpg

Last edited:
To clarify, you got that spotless 30s Elgin frame for FORTY BUCKS?!!

I'm begrudgingly happy for you.
You heard right! Forty bucks! Seven day auction on ebay. Could have been yours! Five bucks more for the absolutely correct forks! Another five bucks for the complete '34 Colson the seat came from. The frame just glows and I haven't even cleaned it yet! I better enter it in Class II before I go any further. Here's a quick first mock-up:
DSCN1214.JPG
DSCN1215.JPG
DSCN1216.JPG
DSCN1217.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Tim, unless you modify the frame, how will this meet the Class II requirements? Asking for a friend. :wink1:

Latest posts

Back