home made (sort of) cone wrench

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I ride a lot and am a stickler for performance and, therefore, carefully adjusted hubs. The adjusting cone on the old Musselman (Elgin, Higgins) rear hubs require a 1 inch wrench. I have never encountered a 1 inch cone wrench... maybe they exist, I don't know. I found this wrench at a bicycle swap meet, - I don't know it's original purpose. It was not open ended but had a 1 inch hex shaped hole in it - box wrench style. I am not much good for "before" pics.... but... This was modified and repurposed into a 1 inch "cone" wrench by cutting away the end and turning into an open end style wrench.

Its nice that you found that wrench, and that it was so easy to convert. I don't really like to spend my money on fancy bike tools unless I have to, i'd rather buy more parts or bikes. I have made all of my cone wrenches and pedal wrenches out of heavy gauge stainless that I get from work.
Johnny

Nice work! I left my cone wrenches behind when we went on our big trip, so had to make one out of some 1/8th flat bar:

9003246287_829ab7e048.jpg

Sometimes it is the tools like you made, the ones made out of necessity, that last the longest and we cherish the most!

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Nice work! I left my cone wrenches behind when we went on our big trip, so had to make one out of some 1/8th flat bar:

9003246287_829ab7e048.jpg

Sometimes it is the tools like you made, the ones made out of necessity, that last the longest and we cherish the most!

Luke.
your the man luke 8) built not bought ! :mrgreen:

Back