HISTOP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I stopped by a bike shop near my office today that I had never been in before to check out what they had in the way of 20" girls cruiser bikes for my daughter.

They had a couple of really cool looking Giant brand bikes that were priced at $219 (choke). :shock:

I was surprised to see that these even have the HISTOP coaster brake hubs. :roll:

Sure wish these higher end bikes would come with a Shimano or something more reliable.

Picture1-9.png

That is actually the bike I was on the hunt for to begin with and they list for $229.

I see them pop up on the CL from time to time, but never when I'd like to buy one.

If you service before using, they're OK for casual riding and mild bombing, but if you want to slam pedal, best find an old oiler. :wink:
The new ones all look the same at a glance, but having seen inside both, the $89.95 bike hubs are even crappier than the $140.00+ version. :roll:

Histop seems to be the main manufacture of coaster brake hubs these days. I doubt you'll run into any problems with the hub on a kids bike. I haven't had a problem with the one on my bike. I figure if it ever fails I'll just put a rebuild new departure on there ;)

SSG what kind of bike do you have that doesn't have any hub problems. Been looking to buy a crusier bike at walmart and I have been hearing about hub problems with some of there bikes.

It's a 1956 JC higgins, but the wheels are a modern generic set with a histop coaster. I don't beat on it (its a cruiser), so that might be why it hasn't had any problems.

Rat Rod said:
Okay....so what your saying is that with HISTOP there are varying degrees of junk?....ha ha. :lol:
Re this: Yes, there are "select" hubs with better quality spring/clutch bits and more rigorous inspection available to makers for additional dough. Imagine if you smeared an engine together with dried up chassis lube and parts from 2 or 3 different engines, but didn't oil the pistons or prime the oil pump before starting it. Good chance it will run fine. :? :| Fair chance it will go squeakity squawkity BANG!!! :shock: :shock: :x :lol: At least a coaster hub won't dump fluids on your garage floor. :lol: :p

That was another option that I was thinking about.

I was hoping to find something more in the style of a cruiser as opposed to a muscle bike.

Let me know what you have. :wink:

Yea Steve, I repacked the Histops in my BFK's before I set my large backside on them. Had a strip of metal shavings about 1.25"x.25" in the bottom of a butter bowl that I used for cleaning the parts. I think that would be enough grit to kill most of these hubs pretty fast. It probably wouldn't hurt to repack ALL the bearings in ANY Chinese bike nowadays.

JoKeR63 said:
Yea Steve, I repacked the Histops in my BFK's before I set my large backside on them. Had a strip of metal shavings about 1.25"x.25" in the bottom of a butter bowl that I used for cleaning the parts. I think that would be enough grit to kill most of these hubs pretty fast. It probably wouldn't hurt to repack ALL the bearings in ANY Chinese bike nowadays.
:wink:

I just bought a 24inch rear wheel. it has a Histop hub...but its coming out as soon as i relace my New Departure Model A in it for my build off...So that means i have a 36 hole Histop for sale...any takers :lol:
100_3237.jpg

Double Nickle said:
I just bought a 24inch rear wheel. it has a Histop hub...but its coming out as soon as i relace my New Departure Model A in it for my build off...So that means i have a 36 hole Histop for sale...any takers :lol:
100_3237.jpg

How much you paying??? :lol:

NO shoes this time either!!!

Those hi-stops aren't any worse than some of the Bendix's I've come across. I ran a hi-stop in a deep v and it worked fine. I just periodically regreased it like I would any coaster hub.

Back