high $$ thrift store

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
paid a visit to the local thrift store today and found 3 beach cruisers huffy murray that sort of thing maybe 10 years old, they wanted $79.00 each for them! :shock: over the past couple years i have notice the price of the bikes going up but this is crazy. they were rusty,chiped paint,taco wheels, i would not pay more then 15 or 20 $$$$ for them. what is really funny is you can go get a huffy at walmart for the same price. had to tell someone

I feel your pain.

The resale shop by me usually has anywhere from 10-20 bikes at any given time and and in the past they sold for no more than $30 tops.

About 6 months ago some bozo came in and told them they were pricing them too cheap and now everything is $30 - $100.

They are a charity based resale shop. They get everything they sell for free. The stuff sits around and starts piling up and then eventually a guy shows up with a trailer and buys the whole load cheap and hauls it down to Mexico.

The only saving grace is that they don't price BMX bikes for more than $20...I guess they think because they are smaller they are worth less.

I started a post about the same thing, my local Thrift Store asks prices higher than Walmart asks for new stuff.

the thing that kills me is, if i was to go back to the store next week these bikes will be gone. is some one buying them and thinking that they are getting a deal just because they came from a thrift store? whitewalls ,i think i remember your post i thought one of us had run into this before.

One time I walked in this Goodwill and saw a Huffy girls mountain bike, expecting to see a $10 or $15 dollar price tag at the most. But no, it isn't like that anymore. Try $49.99. :shock:

jedidave said:
the thing that kills me is, if i was to go back to the store next week these bikes will be gone. is some one buying them and thinking that they are getting a deal just because they came from a thrift store?

Maybe they think they're doing a good thing by contributing to a charity, and also by recycling bikes that otherwise might be clogging up a landfill.

Just a thought.

The bikes that really pile up at our resale shop are the 16" wheeled kids bikes.

Yesterday when I stopped by they probably had 20-30 of them piled up.

I told the manager that they were like rabbits and that they needed to give one away with every purchase. :lol:

I agree w many of posts here.

I've also found it very funny that the magnas, huffys, nexts, ect. will be priced high...like $25 and up. And then you can pick up a classic bmx bike for $9.99 that could easily be sold for $200 or more depending on what brand. Very strange!! :roll:

Last week I was working in a city about 30 miles from Green Bay. From the interstate I spotted two Goodwill stores about four ramps apart. Both looked to have at least 20 or so bikes for sale out front. Where I Iive the bikes sell quickly and the pickings can be slim, so I thought that I had hit the jackpot.
On closer inspection later in the week when I had time to stop I discovered why they had so many bikes, and you guessed it the pricing was way out of line. What really cracked me up was that any bike that was over 10 or so years old the tag read RETRO with prices starting at $49.99. There was a ragged huffy 20'' girls bike with a banana seat that they were asking $64.99. Needless to say my money stayed with me that day. Cheers

It's been really hit and miss around here. At one shop I frequent, I've seen a gold spray bombed Huffy cruiser priced at $79.99, which eventually got marked down, and I went in once and picked up a '77 Scrambler for $7.99! I think it depeneds on who's pricing them.

I missed out at a Goodwill once though. They had a chrome Mongoose ATB, early-mid 1980's, chro-moly frame and fork, with Pro Class wheels, 10 speed, with a sold tag on it. The price-$19.99. :cry:

Back