High School Drop Out

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This 1980 Schwinn Collegiate was a yard sale find. I wasn't going to do anything with it until I saw the two bottom pics... I've been trying to build another bike based on a Schwinn canti frame, but it's been tied up at my painters shop for a couple of months. So while that one is on hold until its painted, I'll put this one together. My first thought was to strip and paint it, but the original red has held up well. I also really like the the patina on the "SHWINN" lettering. The oly parts being retained are the frame, forks, neck, seat clamp, seat post, and crank.
IMG_3200R_2.jpg

IMG_3222R.jpg

With all the real old bikes on this site, it was hard for me to envision a "newer" bike looking old school. I recall "Blood Clot" from the last RRBBO which was a newer bike with a definite rat rod look to it...
My inspiration:
DSC01531.jpg

1-1.jpg

Next up was this Bosch headlight I found on eBay Aus of all places!! Its from the 1930s era. Its very cool!! I gutted it of its original bulb and connections, tapped out a couple of the dents, and painted it. I still need to find an LED headlight to butcher and put in it. I couldn't figure out where to mount it, so the truss rods I figured would be a good place. I think it came out good.
Picture1_5.jpg

IMG_3469R.jpg

IMG_3468R.jpg

IMG_3476R.jpg

what kind of paint did you use on the light and the handlebars? I need to paing something similarly but it needs to be tough.

Well this is where it stands now.
I just ordered a set of wheels with Shimano coasetr, on the cheap.... Heres the link: http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Shimano-Coas ... B000C15EW6 I also ordered the matching front wheel. I can't wait until the big brown truck comes :p :p :p !

I saw somewhere else here that Kenda has weekly specials on their tires, so I called them up and ordered two of these 26 x 1.95.... for $4 each!! Like I said.... on the cheap! Hope they fit... I figured the gum wall will go with the brown leather seat... I wanted white tires but I just couldn't find the right ones..
k838.jpg

Here is the seat:
IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

Another random parts pic:
IMG_3465R.jpg

jimw1960 said:
what kind of paint did you use on the light and the handlebars? I need to paing something similarly but it needs to be tough.

The handle bars were already painted when I got them. They were another cheap eBay score at $10.00, and they're brand new mustache bars.

The light was bead blasted of its old paint and surface rust. The headlight ring, truss rod, and neck were painted with metal etch primer, then topped with Dupli-Color wheel coating. Its very tough paint and has a nice fine metallic to it. The body of the light was sprayed with Rustolium Hammered finish. Both are real tough paints. I bought all the paint from Kragen Auto Parts.
IMG_3467R.jpg

IMG_3470R.jpg

That really is a beautiful headlight. It was built for a motorcycle right? You have a good eye. I might copy your headlight truss mount thing.

Bettleguise said:
That really is a beautiful headlight. It was built for a motorcycle right? You have a good eye. I might copy your headlight truss mount thing.
Thank you. Its most likely a bicycle headlight because the original switch was located on top of the headlight body. I think if it was a motorcycle headlight, it would have been wired differently with a handle bar mounted switch. I could be totally wrong though.... Its the only Bosch light I've ever seen, and in the ad it was listed as a bicycle headlight.

After starting this thread this morning, I got motivated to do something.... I remembered I had some very old dice that my grandpa saved from his trips to Reno in the 60s or 70s.... I mean c'mon, the only thing they're good for now are valve caps, right :lol: They'll compliment the gel grips and the pedal reflectors.
IMG_3541R.jpg

IMG_3540R.jpg

IMG_3542R.jpg

I picked up some tubes today from my LBS. While I was there I spotted a small LED headlight that I thought would work good for my head light, so I grabbed it.
I trimmed some of the length off so it would fit in the HL body. Then I trimmed the old HL reflector a little and fitted it over the collar of the LED light. A little trimming of the LEDs lens, and it secured all together real nicely. I'm a little bummed that I cracked the original Bosch lens when I was putting it all back together :oops: I guess it ads character.. :roll: I didn't hook up a switch to the HL body... For now all you have to do is open the HL ring and turn on the light.
IMG_3544R.jpg

IMG_3550R.jpg

IMG_3553r.jpg

IMG_3554R.jpg

IMG_3551R.jpg

love what you have done so far good pics. :) cant wait to see it done :!:
later,keep it up.

The rest of the bits came in today to finish this pig. The tires I ordered (26 x 1.95) were a tight fit, but I like them. The rear I had to clearance the frame a bit with a sandpaper roll. The rims were cheap, but are gonna be fine.
IMG_3555R.jpg

IMG_3556R.jpg

Yea I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night........................... and "acquired" a fancy coaster brake strap, stainless ice tongs :!: :mrgreen:
IMG_3564R.jpg

IMG_3569R.jpg

Back