Hi from Aruba - lowering a felt bandit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. My name is Daniel and I love bikes. I build them, customize them and ride them. I am not great with engines, but am a wizard with bikes. Wish I could weld, but thats coming soon. I started out as a kid, and made some cool rat bikes with the plastic 16" wheels, frankenstein skatebikes and tandems. It was mostly fitting weird stuff together and bombing hills. As a teenager I started building nice bikes, I had a special place for crappy or poorly finished frames with high end components. In my late teens I became a roadie, triathlete and built crotch rockets, AKA tri bikes, aero road machines and carbon fixies. I love deep wheels and aero gear, but thats all high performance stuff I race with. It's awesome and magazine cover worthy, but it's not rad, you know?

So lately I have been looking at a bike that I have in storage. Its a Felt Bandit chopper. I stopped riding it because I dont really like choppers. I am more of a board tracker, low to the ground kind of guy. I always wanted to shorten the fork but the frame is pointy in the front and kind of low, I figured shortening the fork would not be possible, until I saw this: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/felt-bicycle-pics.16855/page-5

So, today im gonna dig up that ride from storage and try to lower that front end. I iwll love that bike again. I do have some question about how to do it. Not sure if I should make a separate thread about that. Any tips welcome. The main thing im wondering about is, wether new axle mounts are welded in the middle of the fork and the bottom part was chopped off, or if the fork was raised and the top part chopped off. And if that second option would have the same result. Also, any way of changing the angle of the headtube on this bike or if therer are forks available that do that. I even though about flipping the fork so the axle mounts are on the inside. Havent seen that one anywhere, so maybe there is a reason for that. Looking forward to learning more from the rat bike comunity.

Daniel.

Back