HENDECYCLE #1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned 17 yrs. old and this is my first build, so we'll have to see how it goes. I'm looking to build a motorized bicycle that looks pre 30s and is kind of in the style of a board track racer. I bought a huffy mountain bike from Deseret Industries thrift store about 3 weeks ago for 12 bucks.

Here is what I started with:

Photo2501.jpg

I stripped it all down, took off a bunch of junk, added some things, and made it single speed.

Photo2525.jpg

Photo2528.jpg

I took it all apart and traced out the frame. Then I drew up some plans and painted a little cardboard tank thing to see what it would look like. (although it might be a different color)

Photo2560.jpg

Then I put it all back together and made a cardboard tank to tape on and see what it would look like on the bike.

Photo2583.jpg

Photo2588.jpg

Photo2589.jpg

Photo2591.jpg

I have it all taken apart and I'm sand blasting it tomorrow, then I'm going to chop it up! Should be sweet!

I got it all taken apart and took it down to my buddy's house to get it sand blasted.

Photo2599.jpg

Photo2600.jpg

But we ran out of sand...

Photo2601-1.jpg

But I picked up some more sand and we'll finish it tomorrow! And hopefully I can get the piping and sheet metal soon too!

the shelf "L" is that what you are useing to mount the tank portion on the bike??? a lil more sand and you all most there...fork looks good..

I saw this in some guys truck at Walmart and it totally got me pumped to finish it! (Although mine will look a lot different, but it was still sweet!)

Photo2611.jpg

Chopped the top bar and made a new one.

Photo2612.jpg

Photo2613.jpg

Photo2614.jpg

Photo2615.jpg

Photo2616.jpg

Now for the curved bar at the bottom. And I'm hoping to find a place to cut up the sheet metal for the tank this week.

The guy that sand blasted it for me and is teaching me how to weld has a bunch of old cars, trucks and tractors, and he gave me this sweet old tractor headlight. I'm hoping to make it work for the bike somehow, I just don't know how to hook it up to some power. Does anyone have any ideas?

Photo2634.jpg

Photo2633.jpg

HENDECYCLE said:
The guy that sand blasted it for me and is teaching me how to weld has a bunch of old cars, trucks and tractors, and he gave me this sweet old tractor headlight. I'm hoping to make it work for the bike somehow, I just don't know how to hook it up to some power. Does anyone have any ideas?

There are threads in the "how to" section that show you how to wire a headlight for batteries, or even just to install a LED flashlight in it.

Hey everyone! I haven't been able to post a bunch lately because I've been super busy with school and the bike and stuff. We have gotten a ton done on it though and it's coming along nicely!

The guy that's helping me build this, brought a pipe bender and a nice welder from his work.

We chopped the bottom bar off:

Photo2663.jpg

Then we bent a piece of pipe for the drop loop:

Photo2666.jpg

Here it is tacked together:

Photo2669.jpg

I then put it together and rode it around a little bit to make sure it rode straight

Photo2759.jpg

Here is a little piece of card board where the tank will go:

Photo2688.jpg

I got some sheet metal, traced out the design for the tank on it, and my buddy's dad cut it up for me

Photo2647.jpg

Photo2726.jpg

The guy I'm working with tacked the bottom and sides together, then he taught me how to weld and I practiced for a while. Once I could do it ok, I welded the inside of the tank and checked for leaks, then I welded the outside and checked for leaks again. We welded everything except the top because we still have some stuff to do on it.

Photo2761.jpg

Photo2765.jpg

Photo2772.jpg

Photo2775.jpg

After about 2 hours of straight grinding, here it is!

Photo2782.jpg

Photo2786.jpg

Photo2781.jpg

I was shocked to find that there were only 2 small leaks, so we're going to fix those.

Here are some springs, nuts, washers, and bolts for the seat and a springer fork that I'm going to try to build for it:

Photo2787.jpg

I have 2 different ideas for the color. I'm thinking of going with the red one to match our 46' Chevy. What do you guys think?

Photo2791.jpg

This week we are going to finish up the tank, weld the frame really well, and work on something for the springer fork and the seat. I've had a blast building this thing so far! And I'll try to post more as I go haha. Thanks for checking it out! And I'm totally down for any suggestions or tips that anyone has.

Back