helpin a newb out!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey people,

I'd like to start by sayin that i'm not new to customizing bikes and all that lark!
but have never tried to build a ratrod - although have been extremely interested - just wondering if anyone could give me any starting points!!

im on a complete budget but have a surplus of many old bike parts and and frames.

Cheers! :D

The way I start is to sit and stare at every bike you've got and then one just jumps out at me. If you have a particularly rusty or patina-ed frame that is a plus. Older the better. After that decide what kind of rat rod you want to build be it board tracker, bobber, bomber, chopper, cruiser, klunker, a restoration, aged restoration, or whatever else you wish to do.

9 times out of 10 I start building one thing and halfway through I decide that the bike is better suited to a different style all together so don't be afraid to change your mind several times during a build. Trial and error.

And if you can't decide on something just take a bike, paint it flat black, paint the wheels red, and add some whitewalls. Then ride it for a week and rebuild it.

Back